PDA

View Full Version : Windows ME problems

Megaman
28-06-2004, 04:23 PM
Hi all.

I was around at a mates place in the weekend, and knowing the geek I am he mentioned the problems he was having with his computer. Some of the are

-The Sims Superstar not working. The video is choppy, as is the sound. It worked before, but not now.
-Whenever you turn the computer on, it goes through error checking. It is always turned off via start, shutdown.
-Many system functions don't work.

After some poking around, I tried doing things like ad-aware and scandisk (both freeze). After trying other programs, I told them I might try using the (PC Company) to do a restore. After consulting the manual, it said there is a restore without format, but knowing the combination of ME and PC Company is far from perfect, it asked them if there is anything irreplacible, they said no, but then I found the mother's CV. After firing up the CD writing program I found it wouldn't work (Error about "Engine Failed") I gave up and resorted to the humble floppy. I pulled one out of the container and put it in the drive. It complained about it not baing formatted, and offered to format it for me. Then it came up with crap about it being 180kb, and to do a full format. As 180kb would be enough for 3 word documents, I clicked start. It stated they were incorrect settings. 180kb was the only setting there, and every other setting was greyed out. I went and pulled out the Mother's Laptop she got from the school she teaches at, and discovered the lack of Floppy drive. Now thorougly pissed off, I decided to email them to some email account. I popped the Recovery CD in and rebooted, and it came up with 4 options. Install Drivers, Refresh Windows, Restore with Format or Restore without Format. I chose Refresh Windows. 20minutes later it had completed it, but to no avail (Nothing changed).

What now? Next time I go around should I try Restore without Format? I use XP which is better, and have no experience with ME. Knowing this, should I just give up and reccommend they take it to the Repair Shop? Thanks :)

MM B-)

drcspy
28-06-2004, 04:27 PM
i'd be inclined to make sure the bios settings are correct specially for the floppy........also .....when you start getting all sorts of stupid errors it can sometimes indicate some other problem causing them like for instance perhaps the cpu fan has putted out or is running too slow.......an over hot cpu will cause all sorts of silly things to happen.........same with failing ram.......

metla
28-06-2004, 04:29 PM
Better to take it to a shop then have it go tits up and get it in the neck for your troubles.

Mzee
29-06-2004, 09:58 AM
Very unlikely to be ME.
Sounds like a hardware problem.
Does it count its memory fully everytime? (disable fast memory check in Bios first)
I recently had random errors with ME and found that there was a fault in the serial port circuits. I disabled the serial ports, plugged in a USB mouse and it hasn't missed a beat since.
Unless you have the testing gear & know what you are doing better take it to a repair shop.

Megaman
29-06-2004, 05:39 PM
> Does it count its memory fully everytime? (disable fast memory check in Bios first)

At first startup, it says 64mb RAM, then the Memory check says 131mb RAM.

CeeBee
30-06-2004, 01:23 AM
ME has almost the same RESTORE facility that has been copied in XP....use it to go back to before the prob occurred...BE AWARE that if you do; you will LOSE ALL DATA between then and now ...so back all relevant data and save. I suspect corrupt ME cause it wont recognise the floppy...although it could be a faulty unit / replace it for $25.00 and check.Use the Win reload without format first...takes an average if one hour. If that doesn't work then its a format.

Cheers CeeBee

Pheonix
30-06-2004, 11:41 AM
Try first starting in safe mode. Try scandisk check. Then get into device manager and open up each device and see if you have more than one/or old devices listed. Stay away from System and IDE controllers. Also USB has multiple listings naturally. You can delete them and on restart, they will be refound OK. Do not try too many, say about 3 different device "cleanouts" per restart.
If you are not sure of the correct device, look under hardware devices while in normal windows. It will list the devices it uses, but in safemode, it lists them all.
ME seems to suffer a lot from conflicts here.

Graham L
30-06-2004, 01:23 PM
But the Restore facility as distributed in ME doesn't work. :-( The free Security CD from Microsoft installs a fixed version. I suppose that one might work.;-)