PDA

View Full Version : cdma network out dated?

yingxuan
28-06-2004, 12:45 PM
I see that vodafone uses gsm network and telecom uses cdma network

Most nokia phones are for gsm network only.
In hongkong most nokia phones are gsm network and i find that there are hardly cdma cellphones and the ones that are available has to be purchased in nz.
Is this one of the reason why telecom offered the $10 texting?

There are a huge lack of fones that support telecom cdma network
Cdma out date technology?

godfather
28-06-2004, 12:53 PM
Two separate technologies. Its not a question of outdated.

Of course CDMA phones are hard to get in some countries. Thats because there is no CDMA network that can use them in some countries.
Hong Kong uses GSM, so why would you sell CDMA phones, and how would you use them if they were sold there?

If countries only used CDMA, then GSM phones would be hard to buy.

You simply can't use that as a measure of the technology and its obsolescence.

Budda
28-06-2004, 01:47 PM
not likely, cdma and gsm are competing technologies and soon both of them will have to be upgraded to the next level for 3G phones, apparently CDMA will have an easier upgrade because they are closer related to the new technology.

yingxuan
28-06-2004, 01:52 PM
Im using vodafone I was just wondering and was wondering the cdma network.All the phones that support telecom are really ugly!!!!

Gsm seems more popular!!!Nearly all phones are gsm!

metla
28-06-2004, 02:02 PM
....This just in....

Steak,eggs and chips are now outdated,according to reports people in Hong Kong prefer noodles,snake meat and vacuum sealed chicklets fried in the blood of eel's....

Miami Steve
28-06-2004, 02:08 PM
> ....This just in....
>
> Steak,eggs and chips are now outdated,according to
> reports people in Hong Kong prefer noodles,snake meat
> and vacuum sealed chicklets fried in the blood of
> eel's....

Good call metla... :D

yingxuan
28-06-2004, 02:26 PM
haha yeah !!!funny!!

Billy T
28-06-2004, 04:42 PM
> > and vacuum sealed chicklets fried in the blood of eel's....

The blood of eel's..... what?

The mind boggles, and some of the options would put you
right off fried vacuum sealed chicklets for life. :p

Cheers

Billy 8-{) :D

lagbort
28-06-2004, 05:52 PM
cmda is definately not an outdated technology (most of the worlds military forces use it for their secure tansmission), i just think vodafone have struck a note in nz with their flashy advertising and so as gsm is their network we just see more of it (although i wish it were not so, cdma has infinetly better sound quality)

Alasta
29-06-2004, 09:27 AM
CDMA is arguably better from a technological perspective, but GSM is the worldwide standard.

Personally, the main thing preventing me from switching to CDMA is the lack of any Bluetooth enabled handsets.

PaulD
29-06-2004, 11:08 AM
Next generation GSM, 3GSM is also CDMA technology. Better pick which ugly phone you like best :-)

Sb0h
29-06-2004, 12:05 PM
The main reason I don't switch to Telecom is that the coverage is crap. I find my GSM coverage is far better than my mates CDMA coverage in the same areas.

Murray P
29-06-2004, 12:24 PM
> The main reason I don't switch to Telecom is that the
> coverage is crap. I find my GSM coverage is far
> better than my mates CDMA coverage in the same areas.

Possibly more to do with the phone than the cell coverage.

Cheers Murray P

whetu
29-06-2004, 01:01 PM
A bit of both really

Sb0h
29-06-2004, 01:05 PM
Maybe...but both are Nokia phones with internal antenna, there may be some difference between phones, even identical ones. But in saying that I still believe Telecom has been slow to provide the same level of coverage as the Vodafone network, but then the CDMA rollout has only been going a relatively short time hasn't it.

Please take note I'm not saying GSM is any better than CDMA or vice versa just that I find the coverage better in the areas I use my phone with the GSM network and for that reason would not consider changing.

godfather
29-06-2004, 01:45 PM
In many areas the coverage is better with CDMA than GSM as well.

Its a geographic factor and depends entirely on the number and location of cell sites. They do not share cell sites usually, each have their own.

Its (almost) nothing to do with the technology however.

CDMA handsets (mostly) use a chipset that is licensed by the developer Qualcomm and there are royalties that must be paid. Not the case generally with GSM, so there can be cost factors in the new technology that are not an issue with older technology.

godfather
29-06-2004, 01:50 PM
In many areas the coverage is better with CDMA than GSM as well.

Its a geographic factor and depends entirely on the number and location of cell sites. They do not share cell sites usually, each have their own.

Its (almost) nothing to do with the technology however.

CDMA handsets (mostly) use a chipset that is licensed by the developer Qualcomm and there are royalties that must be paid. Not the case generally with GSM, so there can be cost factors in the new technology that are not an issue with older technology.

Alasta
29-06-2004, 05:01 PM
Agreed. CDMA base stations can cover a wider area, but Vodafone may well have made the neccessary investments in their network for it to match or exceed the coverage of Telecom's.

Personally, I prefer Telecom's coverage because they cover Riversdale and Castlepoint on the Wairarapa coast, where Vodafone does not. However, plenty of people prefer Vodafone's coverage so overall they are probably about on par.