PDA

View Full Version : Off Topic- Keyboard cleaning

R2x1
27-06-2004, 03:25 PM
While whiling away the time, I found this on Logitech's site.

"IMPORTANT NOTE: Under no circumstances should you ever submerge the keyboard in any type of liquid. Submerging the keyboard in any liquid will void the warranty on your keyboard. "

(As well as putting the kibosh on the warranty, some other effects might be noticed as well.)
It must be about time they improved on this, especially for those with new spa pools that otherwise look like the bee's knees for cleaner keyboards.

Many years ago a punch card machine warned the operator sternly,

"When cleaning, CAUTION - NOT TO WATER THE ELECTRIC PART, otherwise the computations will be meaningless".
That was probably true too.

Thomas01
27-06-2004, 03:36 PM
This reminds me of the time many years ago when a technician gave a demo to our computer club on how they cleaned keyboards. To our amazement he dismantled it then washed it in warm detergent water. A quick rinse and that was it. "Leave it for at least 24 hours" he said.
I had a badly behaving keyboard some years after that and as a last resort tried it. Yep - it worked perfectly and the keyboard gave sterling service until the entire computer was eventually scrapped.
But don't quote me on this!!

Graham L
27-06-2004, 04:18 PM
It all depends. :D

Some will stand anything. Most won't. That's why all sensible places have a total ban on food and drink near the computers. (I wonder how may keyboards Internet cafes lose ;-)). Spills happen. Coffee and soft drinks are usually fatal to keyboards which have real switches. Some of the cheaper ones with a moulded rubber switch membrane will survive almost anything.

Jerry Pournelle who wrote a column for Byte magazine for many years used to suggest taking a keyboard into the shower. Tastes differ. :D

Mike
27-06-2004, 04:23 PM
My wife's uncle (owns a computer store somewhere) heard a techie mention once that dishwashers were great for cleaning keyboards, if you got them out before the drying stage. So he tried it out on a couple of second-hand keyboards - they worked great afterwards (they needed at least 24 hours to dry fully before use of course).

I've never been game enough to try it though. Next time I see him I must remember to ask him if he still does it.

Mike.

metla
27-06-2004, 04:25 PM
I just throw them out.

Having said that I constantly eat and drink over my keyboard and they have all given many years of service.

For a clean I turn em upside down and thump em.

Woof
29-06-2004, 09:50 AM
Re: "turn em upside down and thump em"

I call it "spanking" which I try to give my keyboards routinely...

Just don't try to dismatle them unless you are prepared for a 'fight' to get all those little plastic buttons back into (101) exactly correct places .....

Murray P
29-06-2004, 10:20 AM
I've washed my old PC Direct keyboard in the sink. Dismatled it first and gave it a good scrub with detergent and an old toobrush. A sunny day and a final blow with a hairdryer on low had it back together and working like new after a few hours.

Cheers Murray P

Billy T
29-06-2004, 10:21 AM
Spanking doesn't really get all the crud out because the rear of the keys are hollow and they catch all the small particles. These get dumped back into the board when you turn it up the right way again

It is better to use a small screwdriver to open up the keyboard, then you can clean it out properly. It is pretty hard to do any damage taking it apart and reassembling it, provided you use the correct sized screwdriver.

If you are from the "kitchen knife and hammer" school of computer engineering, best you just go burn some money instead; or better, buy a replacement keyboard.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

whetu
29-06-2004, 02:10 PM
a bit of jif on cheesecloth works wonders.. hey if it's enough to keep the MAF guys happy in a butcher shop...

Fun fact: The surface of the average keyboard is generally regarded as more of a health risk (bacteria breeding ground etc) than the surface of an average toilet bowl

andrew93
29-06-2004, 02:12 PM
and the telephone

metla
29-06-2004, 02:18 PM
well.....i wouldn't lick a toilet bowl,telephone or keyboard.

Nor an atm machine for that matter.

andrew93
29-06-2004, 02:20 PM
or a door handle or money

beetle
29-06-2004, 03:23 PM
hi ya.....

is this beetle proof ? how many things can i kill with this method?

:D

i just shake mine normally..... or use a pastry brush to get the crumbs out......
could put it in the new spa!!!!!!!!!!! :p

hmmmmmm could be a great new thread on this, why does beetles keyboard not go any more?

i have about 4 keyboards so i can stuff one? as a test board???? ;)

beetle

metla
29-06-2004, 03:28 PM
> is this beetle proof ?

Is anything Beetle proof?

er.....sorry,i just had to ask......

beetle
29-06-2004, 03:48 PM
:p

Well if there is anything beetle proof i have yet to find it......

the search is end less...
or limitless.....? infinity ?

beetle

BevanJClarke
29-06-2004, 05:33 PM
Dampen a soft cloth with 1 atom of Jif and 1 atom of detergent.

Turn keyboard upside down so that gravity will ensure that any dribble will not go in. Slowly, patiently and systematically wipe everything.

Leave it upside down still till dry. Serve with ... oops.

When really dry, use a $20 airblast bottle on all the cracks.
That will clean it very nicely. Of course, if it is so dirty that it's dead it may never recover. Keyboards are not expensive.

Billy T
29-06-2004, 09:28 PM
Spray 'N Wipe works best, much better than Jif and detergent which tends to leave residues. Try it on a monitor, and you'll be amazed at the dirt it will lift off surfaces you thought were reasonably clean. Spray it on a tissue or paper towel.

None of the exterior cleaning does anything for the accumulated muck below the keys though. Just makes for a nice looking keyboard that is still full of junk.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

Elephant
29-06-2004, 10:23 PM
> Re: "turn em upside down and thump em"
>
> I call it "spanking" which I try to give my keyboards
> routinely...
>
> Just don't try to dismatle them unless you are
> prepared for a 'fight' to get all those little
> plastic buttons back into (101) exactly correct
> places .....

But don't you feel happier having a "YTREWQ" keyboard rather than "QWERTY"?

You can also pull off the annoying "Start" "Windows" and "Spell" keys which always get in the way of serious fast typing.

Most of us don't use most F2 - F12 keys either.

For this reason I have removed all Function keys apart from the F1

I won't remove the F1 key for obvious reasons. :-)

kiki
29-06-2004, 10:40 PM
Isn't prevention better with a new keyboard? Get one of those plastic things which cover all the keys. If I was buying a $400 bluetooth keyboard I'd opt for some protection.

That said, why don't keyboard makers provide some protection on their keyboards? Like filling up the gaps with some movable seal between the keys so dirt/dust/liquid can't even get in. Also a removable tray underneath the keys could also be of use.

Keyboards... not a great show for innovation at this point in time.

Fire-and-Ice
29-06-2004, 11:15 PM
> > Just don't try to dismatle them unless you are
> > prepared for a 'fight' to get all those little
> > plastic buttons back into (101) exactly correct
> > places .....
>
> But don't you feel happier having a "YTREWQ" keyboard
> rather than "QWERTY"?

If you can touch type without looking at the keyboard it wouldnt matter where you put the buttons back. ;-)

Billy T
30-06-2004, 09:12 AM
> That said, why don't keyboard makers provide some
> protection on their keyboards? Like filling up the
> gaps with some movable seal between the keys so
> dirt/dust/liquid can't even get in. Also a removable
> tray underneath the keys could also be of use.

Anything is possible kiki, but who would want to pay for the innovations? Keyboards are a strictly disposable item in most businesses, and there is a big enough range of higher priced options to please your average geek who wants to be different.

It is easier to just keep food and drink away from the keyboard if you do have something fancier.

Cheers

Billy 8-{) :|

beetle
30-06-2004, 01:41 PM
?:|

i thought you wernt supposed to use things like spray n wipe on your screens?

tissue yes.

what other things do you use then??? must go try this on my keyboard.....

not while using it though a .....:D

best not delve to deep into this sort of minefield, just thinking of the amount of damage i could do is mind boggling....

and then the brain is useless for study mode....:D

beetle

Billy T
30-06-2004, 03:05 PM
Rule No. 1 beetle: Do not spray anything direct onto or into your keyboard or computer.

Spray onto a tissue, paper towel or soft cloth, then use that to clean said object. The screen face should rarely need cleaning anyway unless used by teenagers who can't read without moving their lips or fingering each word on the screen (so much for modern education).

I suppose we could make an exception for star-struck teenage girls kissing their favourite hunk movie or pop star. ;)

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

beetle
30-06-2004, 03:16 PM
Oh come on where's ya sense of adventure,

?:|

there hasnt been any major beetle scrapes lately, life has become very docile lately round here, no good topics or stupid threads worth mentioning lately except maybe W001 spray painting one......

life has got a little boring or ho hum here, due to so much happening, no daily lives of beetle updates cos i have been snowed under with work!!!!! oh how i hate that word.....

surely we could get something going for all to have a shot at?

" beetle ....scuttles off to hunt for something utterly useless or trivial to post on PF1...."

life is no fun at mo...... too much to do so little time!

beetle

Dolby Digital
30-06-2004, 04:47 PM
>>used to suggest taking a keyboard into the shower.
I can think of better things to take with me into the shower :)

Thomas01
01-07-2004, 12:06 PM
Oh Dear Beetle! You obviously get a great deal of amusement from the various aspects of the computer world. I do too. But I also have a great love of the English language - in fact any language. I do find your letters difficult to read. Please use "I" not "i" and check your spelling and grammar.
But don't stop submitting your comments. Apart from the illiterate presentation I do enjoy them.