PDA

View Full Version : Mitsubishi rewritable CDs

Thomas01
27-06-2004, 11:32 AM
Is it me or are other people having problems with these CDs? I spent several hours yesterday trying to find out what the fault with my desktop and laptop computers was all about. I tried several Mit CDs and then tried another brand. No problems.
I do remember I had thrown away several CDs previously because of faults. I am pretty sure they were the same Mitshubish Cds.

godfather
27-06-2004, 12:13 PM
There can be speed issues with CD-RW, where slower media cannot be used with newer drives.

The only advice I can offer is to avoid CD-RW media altogether, as they are the most unreliable storage, and CD-R are quite cheap.

Baldy
27-06-2004, 12:19 PM
> The only advice I can offer is to avoid CD-RW media
> altogether, as they are the most unreliable storage,
> and CD-R are quite cheap.

Thats true. Transonics on sale this week @ Warehouse (12disks + 5 jewel cases) for $5.95. Why would you want to bother with re-writables?

Thomas01
27-06-2004, 03:30 PM
Whoops I'm learning. I didn't realize that rewritables had this reputation for unreliability. I myself had thought it for a while. However I want to continue with rewritables as I am using ACDSee to copy my files onto CDs for backups. ACDSee point out that if you use any other program to move the files then you loose the comments that have been added to the photographs. I also want to be able to switch them to my laptop on occasions. So I still have a problem. But I notice my Mr DATA CDs seem to work OK. Perhaps I ought to stick to them.
Anyway thank you chaps for your interest. Much Appreciated.

FrankS
27-06-2004, 03:56 PM
Have a look at

http://www.cdmediaworld.com/hardware/cdrom/cd_quality.shtml

Note Imation are in both the top and bottom of the pops and clicking will produce a screen showing what you see when buying a CD

Graham L
27-06-2004, 04:30 PM
I have the opposite problem: I got some 12X RW disks, and my machine refuses to write them at 4X. :D

rodb
27-06-2004, 05:46 PM
I have given up on CD-RW because of high failure rates.
My backups nowadays are to a 40GB portable USB HDD (2.5 inch). The advantage is that I can use it on any XP or Me computer by just plugging it in (no software required).
I got mine from ProSouth (Dunedin), so have a look at their website.

FrankS
27-06-2004, 07:58 PM
Graham, as I understand it there are 3 basic CD-RW drives
Original 1-4x, only writes with 1-4x
High speed 4x-10x, writes with 1-4x or 4x-10x
Ultra speed 10x-24x, writes with 10x-24x
The front of the drive is usually engraved in very small letters with High Speed or Ultra Speed
I have a high speed and bought some 10x-24x CD-RW discs which appeared to write but got a blank coaster.