PDA

View Full Version : SuSE + Modem = No carrier?

willie_M
27-06-2004, 11:09 AM
I got Suse working and it detected my modem fine, but when I try to connect, it dials and gets halfway throught the handshake then hangs up and starts over with the error NO CARRIER

I have tried changing dont detect dialtone and other various settings but it hasnt changed the behaviour...

Anyone know whats wrong?

johnboy
27-06-2004, 01:09 PM
Have a look thru this page item 17 troubleshooting.

trouble shooting modems
Here (http://www.opennet.ru/docs/HOWTO/Modem-HOWTO.html)

Graham L
27-06-2004, 04:25 PM
Carrier should appear only when the dialling has been done and the other end has answered.

During the dial phase, a modem is not being a modem: it's a piece of telephone equipment. Carrier received from a modem at the answering end causes your modem to switch over between "telephone" and "modem" operation. :D

willie_M
28-06-2004, 02:43 AM
Okay, so heres what it says...

17.10 NO CARRIER
This means that the analog sine wave (the carrier) from the other modem isn't present like it should be. If you were already connected, this means that the connection has been lost. There may have been noise on the line or a bad connection. The other modem may have hung up on you for some reason: Perhaps the automatic login process didn't work out OK. Perhaps PPP didn't get started OK. Perhaps a time limit was exceeded.

If you get this error before you get connected, it means that the carrier of the other modem wasn't detected by your modem. This may happen if there is there is no properly working modem on the other end. For example, an answering machine could have picked up your call instead of a modem. NO CARRIER will also happen if the modems fail to negotiate a protocol to use. This can happen if you have an early V.90 modem that first tries to negotiate a high speed X2 or K56flex protocol. These two protocols are obsolete and some ISP servers will drop the connection (hang up) when this happens since they have no understanding of such protocols and don't wait around long enough for the calling modem to fallback to V.90.

If you force your modem to drop the connection by dropping the DTR signal or sending your modem the hangup signal (ATH) you may get this error message. But in this case you (or your software) wanted to drop the connection so there should be no problem. In this case you are only supposed to get NO CARRIER if data was lost. So for most cases of dropping a connection by hangup (or by dropping DTR) you only get an OK message. Your modem dialer program may not even display that to you.

That tells me why its doing it but it doesn't tell me how to fix it...

How can I fix it?

willie_M
28-06-2004, 02:28 PM
Help?

johnboy
28-06-2004, 03:25 PM
Try this page same problem it might give you some ideas
here (http://forums1.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?admit=716493758+1088389095881+28 353475&threadId=585401)
also check these
Check your modem connection:
Make sure that your modem is connected directly to the wall socket, with no cable splitters on the line.
Make sure the telephone cable is connected to the correct socket on the modem. If there are two sockets, it should be connected to the one marked Line.
Make sure nothing else is plugged into the same phone line (e.g. fax machine, digital TV set-top box, etc.). Should you suspect the line, then try retarding the modem so that it connects at a slower speed,

Graham L
28-06-2004, 03:42 PM
I've just been playing with Mandrake on a laptop I bought on Friday. In the modem setup it needed to know the country. :D There are differences in the telephone system signals.

willie_M
29-06-2004, 01:55 PM
OK, the modem works fine in windows but...

a) I dont know where this line goes but if it doesnt split under the house then I am probably the closest one to where it meets the house from the power pole, except for maybe a fax or my fathers computer modem, I'm not sure.

b) I have been getting a few timeouts as of late in my browsers and irc clients...

c) Its the correct plug, otherwise I couldn't be typing this

d) There are no double adaptors, my computer is the only thing that plugs into that phonejack... and I'm pretty sure its 5 wire cord aswell...

Ok, now I'll go have a look at that link and if need be try retarding the modem (btw how would I do that using the YaST 2 configererer?)

Also I don't think I saw NZ on the country select... come to think of it I dont think there was a country select, but I'll double check...

Cheers ears! :D

willie_M
30-06-2004, 01:16 AM
Hey guys, good news... all it needed was a newish driver... That was the one common thing among all these links and people with problems... old drivers.

I was using the one that came with the distro - thought it would be best... I thought wrong.

Cheers for all your help.
Willie