PDA

View Full Version : New DVD vs DVD/CD

Greg S
27-06-2004, 09:35 AM
I'm about to buy a new DVD player, and wondered if it would be worth getting a full-on DVD + CD or a DVD reader + CD? I am unlikely to ever need the DVD writing ability for movies... only for data back upand watching movies. So would the DVD writing ability be a lot better than just CD writing ability?

The full-on unit I'm likely to go for is a Sony DRU510A, vs a <$100 cheapie DVD reader/CD Writer combo.

The diffs will be about $100.

Thx

robo
27-06-2004, 09:46 AM
DVD writing gives much higher capacity for backups. Not a bad idea. I can't fit all my digital photos onto a DVD, let alone a CD.
Changing later will waste dollars. And to be honest, my dvd writer has lasted longer than any of the cd writers I have had.
robo.

John H
27-06-2004, 10:25 AM
I agree with robo (doesn't everybody?) for the same reasons. And I have had the Sony DRU510A for months now, and it is a great burner. I am a very satisfied customer.

Peter
27-06-2004, 01:53 PM
The June issue of NZ PC World has an interesting test report on five 8x DVD drives starting on page 66.

None other than Bruce Buckman & Jon Jacobi are the reporters!

A good read!

kiki
27-06-2004, 02:21 PM
Dual layer (http://www.ascent.co.nz/mn-product-template.asp?cname=DVD+writers) writers are almost as cheap as normal DVD writers now. If I were buying I'd get one of them.

John H
27-06-2004, 04:36 PM
Can you buy dual layer DVD blanks? Are they easily obtainable for a reasonable price?

John

Sb0h
27-06-2004, 05:46 PM
That's the stumbling block at the moment, dual layer media is hard to find and not very reliable. I'd wait on a dual layer writer until good media is available. I read a review of the LG dual layer writer and it could burn to dual layer discs...you just couldn't read them in anything....not much use really if you ask me. Give it another couple of months and things may be very different though.