PDA

View Full Version : Slow connection in Linux

Mike
26-06-2004, 02:13 PM
Hi all,

I finally got connected in Linux... however it tells me I'm only ever connecting at 33k, and pages do seem to also take an age to download. Where should I be looking (and what should I be doing) to make it work properly? Or is it reporting connection speed incorrectly?

Mandrake 9.1.

Thanks,
Mike.

Mrs Bump
28-06-2004, 05:48 PM
Bump

Noel Nosivad
28-06-2004, 07:13 PM
Hey Mike,

What type of modem do you have? model/chipset etc.

What connection tool are you using to connect to the internet?

What web browser are you using?

Cheers,

Noel Nosivad

Mike
28-06-2004, 08:39 PM
> What type of modem do you have? model/chipset etc.

External 56k intel MD566X modem.

> What connection tool are you using to connect to the
> internet?

KPPP - are there others? :)

> What web browser are you using?

Mozilla. Although it doesn't connect from Mozilla, I have to click on KPPP first and wait for it to connect. The little modem icon that appears in my task bar tells me I connect at 33k.

Mike.

beama
28-06-2004, 10:02 PM
where did you get the driver from, my one for rh9 is crippled bcause I haven't registered it. I only installed it to prove to myself that a win modem will work in linux, it became a challange. Although its works it can be a bit buggy at times, it also connects at 33 k but the two times I have used it I noticed no diffence in speed between the win modem on my desktop (xp home) to that of the win modem under linux on my laptop (dual boot xp pro and linux)

Mike
28-06-2004, 10:41 PM
Hi Beama,

My modem isn't a winmodem - it's an external hardware modem (bought after recommendations from this site that external modems work under Linux), and installed as such using the included driver in Mandrake. There was no driver on the CD for it (only for Windows), and no Linux driver on the intel site. It does however say that its Linux compatible (which I guess it is as it detected automatically and runs fine, except its a little slow).

Cheers,
Mike.