PDA

View Full Version : Drivers, Firmware, BIOS etc. When, where, how?

Peter
26-06-2004, 12:32 PM
Where is the best place to check &/or update drivers, Firmware, BIOS etc?
Microsoft or individual manufacturers website, eg: Gigabyte, Nvidia, Intel?

Should any update be downloaded and installed or should a user wait until problems appear?

What is the best location to download and install updates to? Should drivers etc be kept in a separate file for each hardware manufacturer or all downloaded and kept together in a "Download File"?

Perhaps answers to these questions could be retained in a new "FAQ"?

My computer is running well at this moment in time but am I missing out on something by not installing any Updates which may be available?

TIA, Peter.

tweak\'e
26-06-2004, 01:01 PM
its not recommended to use the microsoft supplied drivers for non-MS devices. your better off to go to firstly the brand manafactures site then the chipset manfactires site. eg for a asus geforce card go to asus first before going to nvidia. ms drivers are ok for basic system but can be missing a lot of features that you require.

>Should any update be downloaded and installed or should a user wait until problems appear?

check what the update fixes before installing.

>What is the best location to download and install updates to? Should drivers etc be kept in a separate file for each hardware manufacturer or all downloaded and kept together in a "Download File"?

suit yourself. keep the pc organised any way you like ;-)

>My computer is running well at this moment in time but am I missing out on something by not installing any Updates which may be available?

keep an eye on what the updates fix. some updates can make some things run better..others worse.