PDA

View Full Version : ChipAwayVirus

kbcad
26-06-2004, 11:54 AM
When booting up my Win 98 PC this morning I got the following message:
"Trend ChipAwayVirus has detected a boot virus on your hard disk. The operating system is not supported by ChipAwayVirus. Press <Enter> for more information (recommended) <C> to continue booting."

I use Nortons Anti-Virus and Zone Alarm, and keep up to date. I am totally confused by the message. Advice appreciated. KB.

mark c
26-06-2004, 12:03 PM
Have a look at this. (http://pressf1.pcworld.co.nz/thread.jsp?forum=1&thread=48303)

kbcad
26-06-2004, 12:11 PM
Thanks for your reply Mark. I looked where directed but couldn't connect my problem and where you sent me. KB.

Pheonix
26-06-2004, 12:18 PM
It is actually a basic antivirus contained in the BIOS. It can be turned off in the BIOS, but my first inclination is to advise you to get a "second opinion" over Nortons. Suggest you do the online scan at Trend Micro (http://housecall.antivirus.com/housecall/start_frame.asp) .

kbcad
26-06-2004, 12:39 PM
Thanks, Pheonix - I rceived similar advice from a local PC friend, and turned off virus detect in the BIOS. Up and running again, but will follow your advice re Trend Micro site. Regards, KB.

mark c
26-06-2004, 01:14 PM
Sorry, bungled copy & paste, meant to be this. (http://www.felgall.com/prog15.htm)

kbcad
26-06-2004, 02:04 PM
Hi, Mark - tried that and got a "Page can't be displayed....." KB

Billy T
26-06-2004, 03:49 PM
A temporary outage perhaps? The link works OK here.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

kbcad
26-06-2004, 04:30 PM
Still no go at 3:30 - no refresh, either. KB.

godfather
26-06-2004, 05:22 PM
Works for me.

The contents of that page are:

Chipaway Antivirus

Question:when I start up my computer as it is scaning everything I receive a highlited sentence that says "Trend-chipaway virus[R] on Guard Ver1.63A"

Then at the bottom of the page I get another sentence that is highlited that says press F1 to continue and I do and everything continues on as normal.

What is this virus alert about and how do I eliminate it? Thanks for any help.

John

Answer:

Trend-Chipaway is antivirus "protection" built into the system BIOS. This can trigger false virus alerts when it doesn't recognise the operating system that you have installed.

It can be disabled by going into the BIOS.
Next locate the Virus Scanning feature. For machines with AMI BIOS, this is under the Advanced menu heading.
For machines with Award BIOS, check the Anti Virus Protection heading.

Locate Trend ChipAway Virus or Anti-virus option and change or toggle its setting to Disable.

Without making any further configuration changes, save the new settings and restart the computer.

Finally, to properly protect your system from viruses, make sure that you have a good antivirus program installed on your computer and that you keep the signature files up to date.

kbcad
26-06-2004, 06:39 PM
Thanks, Godfather - things seem to be OK now. Just wonder whether or not I should update my BIOS, but advice I find on this site suggests caution - if it ain't broke, don't fix it. KB.

godfather
26-06-2004, 10:48 PM
Updating a BIOS should only be done if you need to fix an incompatability issue.

There is ~ 5% chance of any BIOS flash failing, and that means your motherboard would be useless in most cases, and require replacement.

That has a trickle on effect, that things like RAM, vido card etc are probably not compatable with a replacement motherboard and you end up replacing almost the entire PC.

Your choice, but BIOS flashing is not a recreational activity.

driddering
05-05-2007, 03:38 AM
I am having the same problem, but cannot figure out a way to enter the BIOS. I press F1, but does not enter setup, and F8 and nothing happens differently. My computer had Win ME and am trying to upgrade to XP, but get an "stop" message. Now I have no operating system. How can I enter the AMI BIOS?

Works for me.

The contents of that page are:

Chipaway Antivirus

Question:when I start up my computer as it is scaning everything I receive a highlited sentence that says "Trend-chipaway virus[R] on Guard Ver1.63A"

Then at the bottom of the page I get another sentence that is highlited that says press F1 to continue and I do and everything continues on as normal.

What is this virus alert about and how do I eliminate it? Thanks for any help.

John

Answer:

Trend-Chipaway is antivirus "protection" built into the system BIOS. This can trigger false virus alerts when it doesn't recognise the operating system that you have installed.

It can be disabled by going into the BIOS.
Next locate the Virus Scanning feature. For machines with AMI BIOS, this is under the Advanced menu heading.
For machines with Award BIOS, check the Anti Virus Protection heading.

Locate Trend ChipAway Virus or Anti-virus option and change or toggle its setting to Disable.

Without making any further configuration changes, save the new settings and restart the computer.

Finally, to properly protect your system from viruses, make sure that you have a good antivirus program installed on your computer and that you keep the signature files up to date.

Speedy Gonzales
05-05-2007, 07:37 AM
I am having the same problem, but cannot figure out a way to enter the BIOS. I press F1, but does not enter setup, and F8 and nothing happens differently. My computer had Win ME and am trying to upgrade to XP, but get an "stop" message. Now I have no operating system. How can I enter the AMI BIOS?

It'll either be the Del key, F1,F2 or F10/F12 maybe to get into the BIOS.