PDA

View Full Version : Wine in Xandros

Mzee
26-06-2004, 01:02 AM
I have just installed Wine in Xandros, but nothing happens. The software list says that it is installed but there is no sign of it in the menus.
It is installed to "usr/bin" folder.
Does anyone have any experience with Wine in Xandros?
I saw a screen shot of linux with wine showing as a wine glass icon next to Windows progs. Not a wine glass to be seen! :)

Is there any Browser that shows the fonts correctly in Linux? It has Mozilla, I have also installed Opera 7.23 but neither of them have consistent font display in Linux, but are very good in Windows, and the button text is minute. I had IE6 in it with the demo Crossover and it was good. Maybe I should download Windows fonts?

Chilling_Silence
26-06-2004, 02:40 AM
Try running apps from the command line and see if it works:
wine appname.exe

Im not sure what Knoppix does differently, but all rpm's / source compiled WINE's Ive done havent had that so perhaps the Icon and config app is an extra package??

Chill.

Murray P
26-06-2004, 02:55 AM
Mzee, I've not been troubled by the fonts issue in Linux that some people raise, but I'm probably not decerning eneough in that respect for it to bother me. Drag your windows fonts over for sure tho, I missed a couple of nice tt I had downloaded and felt much more comfortable having them at hand.

Have you tried Firefox in Linux?

Can't help with Wine as I'm trying to go cold turkey, not frozen just cold.

Chill, what are doing up at this hour? Go to bed.

Cheers Murray P

Chilling_Silence
26-06-2004, 04:02 AM
> Have you tried Firefox in Linux?
I agree, Firefox is pretty consistent between Winblows and Linux :-)

> Can't help with Wine as I'm trying to go cold turkey,
> not frozen just cold.
Good on ya :D I've only got WINE on my Lappy ATM coz I wanna run UnrealTournament and every time I try and download the native installer, the MD5Sums dont match, even from servers everywhere....

> Chill, what are doing up at this hour? Go to bed.
My bad..... ;-)

Terry Porritt
26-06-2004, 01:46 PM
The answer to the micro-sized fonts in Mozilla was found by Brett Mason, here is the forum thread (http://pressf1.pcworld.co.nz/thread.jsp?forum=1&thread=45840#260644) to it.

I had been tearing my hair out until then.

The path to the 'chrome' folder may not be exactly the same as that given, it probably varies with the installation, but find the chrome folder and the file userChrome-example.css.

This file more or less tells you how to change default settings, and you can then save the edited file as userChrome.css.

I set the default font size to 14pt, which suited me, but admit it took several editing tries to get the file just right to work properly.

Murray P
26-06-2004, 02:52 PM
I wonder if the font size is Xandros specific issue Terry. I run Mepis Linux, another Debian based distro, and found fiddling with the font sizes in web pages, tool bars and text boxes like this one, completely configurable with Mozilla if a little confusing as to what result you get with any particular change or combination thereof. As you say, it takes afew changes to get the desired result.

Cheers Murray P

PS. Maybe an update on the Xandros trial is due ;)

Terry Porritt
26-06-2004, 03:25 PM
I have a feeling the font problem lies with Xandros, as I also tried installing IE and that had a very small default font too.

Maybe whoever compiled Xandros has funny eyes :)