PDA

View Full Version : Computer will not boot ??

oscar91
25-06-2004, 07:52 PM
Hello,

I removed one of my old drive from my computer and replaced it with a bigger one. But when i turned my computer back on nothing happens, nothing comes up on the monitor, just the fans start up, the hard drive and cd rom start spinning and the all the lights on the front of my case just stay on. There are no post beeps or messages that appear on the screen. Do you think my motherboard is fryed???
I used a anti-static strap when removing the hard drive. I checked all cables, making sure they are all the right way.
I checkedhe ram, video card on a older computer i have and they work fine.
What do i do next, is there a way to check the motherboard??
I was going to try the prossecer in my other computer but it's a different
slot.

Any help would be very grateful,

thanks.

Megaman
25-06-2004, 08:00 PM
maybe the new drive it drawing too much power from the PSU. Will the computer turn on with no h/d in there? (it won't boot, but to test for text on screen). If there is still nothing on teh screen, try testing with a voltometer (i think that's what it's called :p)

MM

oscar91
25-06-2004, 08:04 PM
I Have tryed turning the computer on with all hard drives disconnected but it still does nothing, all so, once i have turned it on i can't turn it off by using the switch on the case i have to turn it off at the wall.....

Megaman
25-06-2004, 08:16 PM
Plan B: The Voltometer

oscar91
25-06-2004, 08:21 PM
Ok I've found a volt metrer,
So where do i test ???

45South
25-06-2004, 08:45 PM
When you say...
"I Have tryed turning the computer on with all hard drives disconnected but it still does nothing"
...does this mean you took the IDE cable out of the motherboard as well?
From memory, if the cable is plugged in back to front on the board you will get nothing on the screen.

oscar91
25-06-2004, 09:46 PM
Yes All the IDE Cables will Removed completely from the tower,
Is there a way to reset the bios setting to default? The motherboard is a
" ASUS P2L97-S" with a Intel pentium processer

Elephant
25-06-2004, 11:16 PM
> Hello,
>
> I removed one of my old drive from my computer and
> replaced it with a bigger one. But when i turned my
> computer back on nothing happens, nothing comes up on
> the monitor, just the fans start up, the hard drive
> and cd rom start spinning and the all the lights on
> the front of my case just stay on. There are no post
> beeps or messages that appear on the screen. Do you
> think my motherboard is fryed???
Probably not.

> I used a anti-static strap when removing the hard
> drive. I checked all cables, making sure they are all
> the right way.
> I checkedhe ram, video card on a older computer i
> have and they work fine.
> What do i do next, is there a way to check the
> motherboard??
Could you please tell all here about what operating system you use? What hard disk (bigger) are you trying to install?
Assuming you have connected all cables correctly and that the new hard drive is connected as Master and jumpered the right way then the operating system will not be installed yet.

You may need a BIOS update to have the new hard disk even recognised.

> I was going to try the prossecer in my other computer
> but it's a different
> slot.
>
> Any help would be very grateful,
>
> thanks.

Elephant
25-06-2004, 11:19 PM
> Yes All the IDE Cables will Removed completely from
> the tower,

So if all IDE Cables are removed just how is the new hard disk connected?

> Is there a way to reset the bios setting to default?
> The motherboard is a
> " ASUS P2L97-S" with a Intel pentium processer

I am very confused here.

:-)

Berryb
25-06-2004, 11:28 PM
If it is lacking in power as someone has suggested (something I doubt) then unplug the power to the CD & floppy and not the HD and try to boot. You say you have changed from smaller to bigger drive. Was this your master drive you changed or do you have more than one HD in there? Have you tried putting your old one back in. This way you will find out if the motherboard is fryed or the new HD is causing the prob. What OS and how big is bigger HD?
Don't forget you should be able to boot off your OS CD if set in bios to do so.

Greg S
26-06-2004, 11:46 AM
> So if all IDE Cables are removed just how is the new
> hard disk connected?

The cables must be connected. Have you double checked the edge of the drive to ensure that its jumpers are set to Master?

You could possibly put back the old drive and run them together to make sure that the drive's not faulty

Pheonix
26-06-2004, 12:29 PM
To set BIOS to defaults, you will need to get into the bios and use the "set to default" listing. The old boards just required you to drop the battery out, but it won't work with the new ones as they are "flashable" and do not require the battery to maintain settings.

45South
26-06-2004, 01:42 PM
Really do wish people would read a posters original post & follow the thread down.
The man says there is nothing on his screen!!!!!!
1. You don't need cables attached to the hdd or Motherboard to get a post onscreen (although a reversed cable will do this)
2. It doesn't matter which OS he is using as he can't get his machine to boot to install one.
3. He can't get to the BIOS to flash it as it won't post therefore no access to A:\
4. He can't set to boot from CD as he can't access the BIOS because there is nothing onscreen.

Here's what I'd do (and yes I know some are pretty obvious)
I've exluded the steps you've already taken

1. Check the monitor cables for bent pins
2. Try a PCI or ISA video card as your AGP slot may be poked
3. Leave the battery out for 2hrs & even try a new one
4. Check all of the capacitors on the board for raised domes on top & leakage around the base of them.
5. Check that you haven't accidently bent a capacitor or pin over when you were installing the new drive.
6. Try another set of IDE cables
7. Check there are no bent pins in the IDE slot on the board
7. Give the BIOS chip a firm push into the board (it may have crept)
8. Warm the BIOS chip gently with a hair dryer for a minute or so.
9. Visit trademe for another one (about $30)

tweak\'e
26-06-2004, 02:20 PM
just to add....

also check the cpu is slotted in correctly. they are real easy to bump lose. most of the time when this sort of thing happens its simply a plug/device that has come looose.