PDA

View Full Version : speed up

Kenny
25-06-2004, 03:33 PM
I run Win98 2nd Ed. and when I turn on the computer & my desktop functions fine with every thing working but in the back ground you can here the pc still doing some sort of work. Leave it alone for 10 minutes and the cursor will move when pointed at excess speed. If I play a game of cards, even though showing the slow mode in options, it ignores this setting and moves full speed. It takes some 10 minutes to switch into the fast mode and you can only go back to normal settings by restarting and using the computer before it has time to alter the speed seting. Can anyone help me keep my computer at normal speed?

tweak\'e
25-06-2004, 06:28 PM
have you done a scan with an upto date antivirus ??

Kenny
28-06-2004, 02:45 PM
Yes, I run Norton 2004 and scan 1 a week?

J ZEP
28-06-2004, 04:20 PM
> my desktop functions fine with every thing working but in the back ground you can here the pc still doing some sort of work.

Perhaps the next thing to check would be what is going on in the background... and probably wouldn't hurt to run "Adaware" or "Spybot" either to check there are no little nasties on your system...

Which can be found here

Adaware (http://majorgeeks.com/download.php?det=506)

Spybot (http://www.safer-networking.org/)

Have a look whats happening when your computer is working in the background. Im not using win 98, but it should/may be Ctrl/Alt/Del - see if you can see anything suspicious looking in the process's tab (not sure if win 98 has the taskmanger- Ctrl/Alt/Del actually?).
Even just see what is loading at startup - Start-Run-Msconfig, once again these may not be the right directions for win98, so somebody else using it may be able to give you better instructions hopefully :-).

HTH

Kenny
28-06-2004, 05:56 PM
I have run Adaware and my system is clean....just finished a full virus scan and no viruses' found....?

J ZEP
28-06-2004, 08:29 PM
Maybe the mouse is actually the problem? Have you tried using another mouse? What kind of mouse are you using?usb or ps/2 etc... Not one of the ones with drivers, like the Logitech ones?, if so maybe theres a problem with the mouse drivers?
Another small thing of interest, i found just recently, when cleaning out a system of some nasties, was that "Adaware" missed some that "Spybot" picked up - so might pay to run that too just to be sure. Can't really think of much else that could be of help. But i think finding out whats going on in the background would be a step in the right direction too ;-). Did you look in process's or startup?

Sorry im not much help :-(

Kenny
28-06-2004, 10:36 PM
J_ZEP, Fantastic, looks like you have solved the problem.....Downloaded "SPYBOT" and it seems to have worked. What ever was running in the back ground all the time seems to have been turned off, and this in turn seems to have stopped the speed-up once my PC had gone through it's startup process. Thanks to all who had any suggestions. See how it runs tomorrow, cheers!

J ZEP
29-06-2004, 03:39 PM
Hi again Kenny, glad to help, only hope that it "has" fixed your prob :-). I used to be a strong advocate of "Adaware" thinking it would get rid of everything without need for any other programs, however Chill put me on to "Spybot" a while back and then i did that test (on a system i knew was full of rubbish) and saw the things that "Adaware" missed and "Spybot" picked up, rather impressive ;-). Alot of PF1'ers use the combination of the 2 programs ;-), you just have to remember that "Spybot" will pick up the achives in "Adaware" - if its set up to default?, i think??