PDA

View Full Version : Win XP User Account Problem

Trumps
24-06-2004, 07:21 PM
Hi Guys

Have a Win XP Pro machine with 3 Users - let's say Bill, Bob and Joe. Did a restart of the machine after updating Nero, had a very long start up and into the main User (Bill), everything as normal except the Program Folder is empty. Bob and Joe Desktop settings are all fine.

Looked under My Computer, Documents and Settings to find that there is no User folder for Bill, but there is one for Sharon (a previous User) - the contents though are what should be for Bill including My Documents.

So to summarise I have Bill at log in, Bill in Control Panel under User Accounts, but Sharon (which should be Bill) under Documents and Settings. How do I fix this? Rename Sharon to Bill logging on as the Administrator, or will there be a registry hack involved.

Cheers All

Mark

Megaman
24-06-2004, 08:49 PM
I suggest you make a System Restore point then rename Sharon as Bill

J ZEP
25-06-2004, 12:01 PM
Hi Trumps, don't know if this will be of any help, but, with regard to your "user account folders" names, under "Docs & Settings" - is there any chance that you just "Changed" the user account Name, instead of setting up a new one? e.g Sharon (previous user) account was renamed to Bill??? Instead of deleting the account and giving Bill a New account of his own.

If thats the case then this is a known problem, i came across it some time back. Some imfo can be found on why it happens

Here (http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;283111)

This behavior may occur if you have changed the name of the account in the User Accounts tool in Control Panel. By doing so, the new name appears on the Welcome screen, but the actual account name remains the same. The folders under the Documents and Settings folder and the names that are listed in Task Manager show the actual account name.

Still doesn't explain whats happened to "All" your Programs???