PDA

View Full Version : playing ISO files

csinclair83
24-06-2004, 08:08 PM
i'm going away for the weekend so i made my EURO 2004 cd into a iso file on the computer so i dont take my cd and risk damage, but now i dont have a virtual drive or anything to play it on, I know i can download NERO and use that, but i dont want nero as i already have a cd writing program. does anyone here know of any small maybe free or something files that can permit me to play ISO files on my computer without cds etc

Am running winxp home :)

Chris

Will Hunt
24-06-2004, 08:38 PM
daemon tools... google it.

Lohsing
24-06-2004, 09:10 PM
If you were able to "make" the iso file, the same software should be able to load the iso file as a virtual drive.

Then again, what software did you use to make the iso?

Lo.

Mike
24-06-2004, 09:17 PM
I'm pretty sure Microsoft has an ISO virtual drive program available for download from their website (maybe from one of their beta sites). Do a search on the MS site.

Mike.

heni72847
24-06-2004, 10:05 PM
daemon-tools is exactly what you need

for the links...
this lead to the d/l..
http://www.daemon-tools.cc/dtcc/portal/download.php?mode=Download&id=34

http://www.daemon-tools.cc
is the official site..

Will Hunt
24-06-2004, 10:19 PM
You know, if someone isn't able to search for something with google, then perhaps they shouldn't be using the net...

just saying....

Mike
24-06-2004, 11:05 PM
> just saying....

Well don't :)

I'm sure Chris knows how to use Google. But why not have others give URLs to find what he wants - it's a bit quicker, and I know I'd appreciate that over having to search for who-knows-what. I'm sure you would too. And when others ask for stuff, Chris also offers URLs to people, rather than just telling them to google for it. Google isn't the best tool on the net, and its not always that helpful. I think this forum is better.

Mike.

metla
24-06-2004, 11:14 PM
The point being that people can recommend programs they have used and found to be worthwhile, being one myself who would jump onto google, find 50 programs that sound like the go, then spend a day trying them all out and dismissing them only to ask someone and get referred to a program that fits the bill perfectly.

Growly
24-06-2004, 11:50 PM
Agreed.

I use a *legitimate* version of Alchohol 120%, but I used to use CloneCD

metla
25-06-2004, 12:02 AM
Just for interestís sake, Alcohol is Clonecd and daemon tools, the 2 projects amalgamated into the 1 "killer app"

lagbort
25-06-2004, 05:23 PM
i always find it a struggle to actually rip iso's from alcohol, it always ends up taking forever or just not working, so i just use clone cd for that and alcohol for the virtual drives

Growly
26-06-2004, 09:50 AM
I see....

Daemon tools, i'll try them.

The only thing I didn't like about clone cd was the .ccd thing - a simple ISO would be dandy. There are other programs i have used (www.download.com) that do the job well, some more than others.

Then again I'm at a loss; most of them come with some sort of spyware or other trash programs.

-=JM=-
26-06-2004, 10:12 AM
> Just for interestís sake, Alcohol is Clonecd and
> daemon tools, the 2 projects amalgamated into the 1
> "killer app"

Got any links to back you up on that idea? Last time I looked the programs didn't seem very similar at all. Also Alcohol is arguably better than CloneCD, how can this be if they're the same?

Lohsing
26-06-2004, 10:39 AM
> > Just for interestís sake, Alcohol is Clonecd and
> > daemon tools, the 2 projects amalgamated into the
> 1
> > "killer app"
>
> Got any links to back you up on that idea? Last time
> I looked the programs didn't seem very similar at
> all. Also Alcohol is arguably better than CloneCD,
> how can this be if they're the same?

I think Metla was speaking metaphorically. Alcohol took on CloneCD's ability to rip iso's as well as providing a virtual drive which Daemon Tools does.

Personally, I prefer Daemon Tools for a virtual drive and hardly ever use Alcohol's virtual drive function.

Lo.

metla
26-06-2004, 11:33 AM
metaphorically??

Nope,i was stating it as a fact,however i may of course be wrong.

I was of the understanding they had joined forces,i'll go see if i can prove myself right......or wrong as the case may be.

metla
26-06-2004, 11:40 AM
Damn, guilty of spreading false info, they do indeed have nothing in common.

Wonder where I managed to come up with that theory.........

Baldy
26-06-2004, 01:01 PM
You could of course do what most people do and use the original CD - Its not that hard to look after them really is it?

I mean, you could take it away in it's jewel case, hold the disk by the edges and put it back in its casestraight after use. Not that hard really. And wouldn't it save at the hassells of trying to find additional software to play the disc

My tuppence worth anyway

metla
26-06-2004, 01:31 PM
Different strokes for different folks.

Personally i think once the program is installed then the cd has done its job and i get peeved having to insert the cd.This was a bonus at one time of gaming on a pc.

I myself just use a no-cd crack,otherwise i never get around to using what i've paid for,far easier to just launch a game that doesn't need a cd and be up and playing withn a few seconds.

Lohsing
26-06-2004, 02:18 PM
> Damn, guilty of spreading false info, they do indeed
> have nothing in common.
>
> Wonder where I managed to come up with that
> theory.........

Yeah - i wondered the same thing! Agree on the CD thing though... at any one time, I have 6 games installed, and I HATE having to put the CD in each time.

Lo.

Baldy
26-06-2004, 02:20 PM
> I myself just use a no-cd crack,otherwise i never
> get around to using what i've paid for,far easier to
> just launch a game that doesn't need a cd and be up
> and playing withn a few seconds.

How do you do that?

Murray P
26-06-2004, 02:31 PM
Go to any specific game forum or website and you will probably be able to download a variety of games mods including no CD cracks for that game.

Cheers Murray P

metla
26-06-2004, 02:54 PM
> How do you do that?

email me if you like and i'll point you in the right direction.