PDA

View Full Version : setting up linux test server

Nigel Thomson
24-06-2004, 05:33 PM
I have set up a server running fedora core2, that i intend to use as a testing server for dreamweaver on my PC,

My questions are
a) how the heck do i do this, (I only seem to be able to find "overviews" of the process), I have downloaded putty, but not yet installed it, as i am unsure of what i need to do on the linux end.
b) I also want to be able to run PHPMyadmin on the server (I find it really useful)

Any help would be much appreciated
Nigel

Chilling_Silence
24-06-2004, 06:44 PM
First of all, open a console and use:
su -
[enter root password]
Now, type:
service sshd start

Now sshd is started, you can ssh into your PC remotely with PuTTY.
If it says it was already started then you're fine and dont have to worry about running that command again :-)

Now that you're logged in possibly remotely or wherever (It doesnt matter) type:
service httpd start

This will start apache so you can host web pages from the Linux box (They go in /var/www/localhost/htdocs IIRC)

Now... Im unsure about PHPMyAdmin sorry, but hopefully this has put you down the right path and we can go from here :-)

Let me know how you get on

Cheers

Chill.

Nigel Thomson
25-06-2004, 04:28 PM
Ok putty seems to work fine,

4 questions

1) when I installed the server I installed Xwindows - but no desktop (i.e GNOME or KDE) , but once everything was installed, using yum I installed Xfce, following the instructions here (http://fedoranews.org/contributors/diego_figueroa/xfce/), I know these instructions work as I have used the same method to install Xfce on my desktop (Along with the Existing Gnome), the problem is that there are no 'Sessions' directories in the "gdm" or "dm" directories, which pretty much prevents me from making xfce work.

2)How do i set a service to start on boot up, (I actually have notes on this, but as i am asking questions I may as well ask)

3)how do i set a fixed ip for the server, as the rest of the network gets ip addresses from the Adsl modem I think, which means the ip address of the server may not always be the same

4)This isn't exactly a linux question but what the hey,

I am on jetstart, so i have access to jetstream gaming and the linux distro server thing, anyway when I log in as me@jetstreamgames.co.nz
for some reason I cant download using yum,
i have configured my yum.conf to the jetstream servers and it works perfectly when I am logged in to my normal jetstart account, which is fine but i would prefer to be able to do my updates on the quicker speed (downloading the four FC2 isos took about an hour).

any further clarification needed please just ask

thanks Nigel

Nigel Thomson
25-06-2004, 04:36 PM
2)How do i set a service to start on boot up, (I actually have notes on this, but as i am asking questions I may as well ask)

Ok I feem dumb

ntsysv

for some reason i kept typing vasm and variants of it

Nigel Thomson
25-06-2004, 04:50 PM
Now i feel even dumber
it doesnt matter the sessions etc
as all i have to type

is startxfce4

but I still haven't figured out questions 3 & 4

sorry for wasting peoples time with the first two

Jen C
25-06-2004, 04:54 PM
> 2)How do i set a service to start on boot up, (I
> actually have notes on this, but as i am asking
> questions I may as well ask)

you need to run this command:
chkconfig --listThis will produce a list of all your installed services and will show you what runlevels they run on.
Now for the service you wish to turn on so that is will always run on a particular runlevel you need to specify what runlevels and what service. Example for httpd (apache):
chkconfig --level 345 httpd onHave a look at chkconfig --help and man chkconfig as well for further options.

> 4)This isn't exactly a linux question but what the
> hey,
>
> I am on jetstart, so i have access to jetstream
> gaming and the linux distro server thing, anyway when
> I log in as me@jetstreamgames.co.nz
> for some reason I cant download using yum,
> i have configured my yum.conf to the jetstream
> servers and it works perfectly when I am logged in to
> my normal jetstart account, which is fine but i would
> prefer to be able to do my updates on the quicker
> speed (downloading the four FC2 isos took about an
> hour).

I am guessing this would be because your yum.conf contains URL's of site outside the jetstreamgames domain and you only get access to the jetstreamgames servers when logged on as @jetstreamgames.

You could make a dulpicate yum.conf to use for jetstream access and comment out all the other servers, but you will need to switch it for the real yum.conf (rename them) just to access the jetstreamgames server.

Jen C
25-06-2004, 04:57 PM
>ntsysv

Yes, that is one way. But you will find chkconfig will give you greater control over what runlevels you need a service to run on. :)

Jen C
25-06-2004, 05:09 PM
>3)how do i set a fixed ip for the server, as the rest of the network gets ip addresses from the Adsl modem I think, which means the ip address of the server may not always be the same

Does your ADSL modem use DHCP? You can specify an internal IP by using system-config-network (I assume this works fine under XFCE). I found with my ADSL modem/router my assigned IP has always stayed the same using DHCP. I just used the IP assigned by my router as my set internal IP and everyone seems happy. (This is with running apache on my system).

Nigel Thomson
25-06-2004, 07:24 PM
I probably should start a new thread for some of this stuff but well

rather stupidly I assumed that mysql & php would be automatically installed when I set up a web server but they don't seem to be,
Am I right in this?
I did a php test but it didn't work, it just seems strange that these programs weren't automatically installed

Jen C
25-06-2004, 08:04 PM
How did you get on with the other advice you have been given so far? Did any of it help?

>I assumed that mysql & php would be automatically installed when I set up a web server but they don't seem to be

I am not sure what packages are automatically installed with a Server installation, but you can try these commands to see if the packages are installed:
rpm -q php
rpm -q mysql

You can also use system-config-packages to bring up the package manager that you saw during installation.

>I did a php test but it didn't work

You should probably start a new thread with this one to attract more specific help. I have apache working fine, but I cannot even get phpMyAdmin to work let alone any other php bits even after dealing to the httpd.conf (still have my learners license with this sort of stuff :p)

JohnD
25-06-2004, 09:41 PM
The simplest way is to type setup while logged in as root and choose services from the menu.

Nigel Thomson
25-06-2004, 11:32 PM
Ok first the jetstream problem

I used this yum.conf (http://www.jetstreamgames.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=44693) file on the jetstream server forum, which I think only accesses the jetstream server.
So I am still not to sure what is causing the problem, as for the other bits i am still working on it

httpd starts on boot now

(spent most of my time playing with some RAM from Barnabas, now if only someone was giving away HDDs)

will post back once I hit the next obstacle

Nigel Thomson
26-06-2004, 12:54 AM
well i now have php working, and also mysql installed

will post back soonish If i don't doze off first