PDA

View Full Version : Suse 9.1 Pro Install Problems

willie_M
24-06-2004, 02:06 PM
YAY! I got SuSe 9.1! Installed it on VMware and decided it was so good, I'd dual boot it.

Selected all the packages I needed... set everything up... installed from cd 1 out of 5, sed it had finished and restarted. Got to Grub, I took CD out, and hit the Linux selection to boot it.... went through the boot sequence but it came up with the install screen again so I assumed it was going to do the configuration part like it did in VMware....

But the install screen just stays there.... the cursor has the hourglass spinning... the only button available is abort installation - but it doesn't work!

I cannot get it to boot... I even left it for 30 mins and it still got no where...

Do I have to start from square one again? I got all my settings perfect....

willie_M
24-06-2004, 05:23 PM
Can anybody help me? :_(

Chilling_Silence
24-06-2004, 05:41 PM
Dude, give people some time to reply.... 3 hours and you're worried?!

Can you try this:
Hit Ctrl + Alt + F2
Hopefully it isnt sitting there asking you to login

Now, type:
tail -n 20 /var/log/messages

And see if it tells you anything interesting in there :-)

willie_M
24-06-2004, 11:01 PM
its all timestamps and hex gibbrish but i did find this at the very bottom...

/etc/hotplug/net.agent[683]: No HW description found ... exiting

So thats the USB right? A few sites I googled said that suse 9.1 had problems with usb 2 but i disabled the usb so it shouldnt be doing this... should it?

willie_M
24-06-2004, 11:02 PM
btw.. can i use ctrl + alt +f2 to do that at anytime?

Gorela
24-06-2004, 11:55 PM
Hi Willie,

With the SuSE install you need to keep the CD in the drive after the initial part of the installation. The second part, which you halted by removing the CD, goes through the hardware selection and set-up. It will also install any additional packages from the other CD's that you may have asked to be installed.

Probably the easiest way would be to do another fresh install and leave the CD in the drive ;) After it has booted from the hard drive it will then perform the above and you will have a nice new SuSE. :)

HTH

willie_M
25-06-2004, 08:26 AM
It did it again!

I reinstalled it and it did the same thing...

Only this time the number was 692....

WTF! X-(

Jen C
25-06-2004, 09:19 AM
Are these CD's you burnt yourself? Did the md5sums check out? You might want to try and burn another CD and use that incase you have a dodgy CD. You can also perform a media check on the CD's by following the instructions here (http://portal.suse.com/sdb/en/2001/07/hmeyer_install_media.html).

willie_M
25-06-2004, 11:35 AM
Thanks for that link Jen, I'm gonna go do what it said now...

Whats the md5sum's tho?

willie_M
25-06-2004, 11:48 AM
OK, just did the test and it turned out fine....

Whats next?

willie_M
25-06-2004, 01:44 PM
b.u.m.p.

willie_M
25-06-2004, 11:38 PM
hello?

... chill?

... anyone?

Jen C
26-06-2004, 07:18 AM
>>/etc/hotplug/net.agent[683]: No HW description found ... exiting
>So thats the USB right? A few sites I googled said that suse 9.1 had problems with usb 2 but i disabled the usb so it shouldnt be doing this... should it?

How did you disable the USB? Why not leave it as it originally was and try installing with USB.

Failing that, it might be time to hit the SuSE specific online support (http://www.suse.com/us/private/support/online_help/index.html).

willie_M
26-06-2004, 01:23 PM
I didsabled it in the BIOS cos thats what I originally thought was the problem...

I'll check out SuSe support now...

Cheers