PDA

View Full Version : Dreaded emails, spam filter? settings

beetle
24-06-2004, 02:39 PM
I have this problem a lot, and just hit delete button which is normal for folks round here.

possible rant here.

But i have the bounce effect as i am using Mailwasher i can check my emails before downloading them, and find often that they are telling me i have sent a email and it was not received or downloaded due to virus etc.... you know the drill bit. but it is saying an old email addy i have had (work one) and now we no longer use, not paying useage if you get my means, but daily this email addy gets forwarded to new addy, and so that means whoever has the old addy on their puter is the culpret and not me, frustration city,

the problem is occasionally we get legitimate emails from this address, bookings etc, so am loath to delete the forwarding from it,

this is from a clear addy, im presuming they have a spam filter on their emails? is it a similar line of things as xtra? i have long since any passwords for the clear email addy but was wondering if and how easy it would be to do filtering on this email addy? as it is set to forward anyway?? or just fiddle with xtra a bit more? as i know i cannot fix the spam problem from others, and i dont want to have a ohno not another stupid email post idea....to annoy people ...

so i could block or bounce those mailer dem ? or a bounced mail this way?

how do other people have their filter or blacklist set up?
what settings do they have in place,?

i havent done anything except use mailwasher up till now, but am looking at it a bit closer due to growing number of spam again.

beetle

metla
24-06-2004, 02:43 PM
Send out an email to everyone in your address book asking them to review there security settings and suggest they make sure they are running an up-to-date virus scanner.

And give me a referral,.........lmao.

beetle
24-06-2004, 02:46 PM
ha!

but its not a email thats in my addy or used as my email any more? so they arent picking it up from me...does that sound correct?

its not in my system or does forwarding change this sort of setting?

beetle

metla
24-06-2004, 02:48 PM
http://www.stuff.co.nz/stuff/0,2106,2951603a28aT,00.html

beetle
24-06-2004, 02:50 PM
hmm im beginning to get confused as to what i asked and what i meant.....

its a non used email addy, but pops up in my box saying i have sent it, but i know i havent, so i want a setting so it wont come back at me at all?? is this possible? in the filter options.

mailwasher works fine, but would prefer not to have them get that far if you get my meaning.

so that means setting up filter options?

beetle

beetle
24-06-2004, 02:54 PM
ok after reading that one i have a questions....if a persons computer was sending out spam emails unknown to them does it or will it shw up in there outbox / sent items box????

or is it in silent mode? so the person has no idea this is happening?

beetle

metla
24-06-2004, 02:57 PM
The email is grabbing that old address of yours out of someone elses address book,it will be an old redunent entry they haven't bothered to remove.

Its common practice nowadays for worms and spam,you can block that email address,but it wouldn't hurt to contact the people in your address book as well,more spam will just get through under a different sender's address while those infected machines are still broadcasting onto the net.

metla
24-06-2004, 02:58 PM
> or is it in silent mode? so the person has no idea
> this is happening?

Correct.

beetle
24-06-2004, 03:07 PM
so i should send all these people also some who i dont know, (bookings etc) and let them know my updated email addy or say youre comps sick its sending out spam...:p

would you trust a email that said that? i probably delte mail like that without reading it....so it coulda been me....?:|

beetle

Winston001
24-06-2004, 03:11 PM
I think what you mean is that you have a "dormant" e-mail address. You don't use it anymore. But it is still valid - mail sent to it is received and held on the Clear server until you deal with it, or the box is full.

You say it is forwarded to you. There are only two ways this could happen:

1 Clearnet have an instruction from you to forward all mail to another address - the one you normally use.

2 Alternatively your mail program is set up to look for and download mail from Clear as well as your current e-mail provider.

For 1 you need to access Clearnet webmail to delete the forwarding option.

For 2 you need to go to Tools -> Accounts -> Mail and remove the Clearnet one.

Good luck

metla
24-06-2004, 03:11 PM
Its not up to me to say what you should do,Just a thought i had.

Billy T
24-06-2004, 03:29 PM
They have no idea beetle :( These nasty programs have their own email program built in.

I get heaps of these emails at present because I use 9 email addresses.

Using Mailwasher, most get picked up and automatically flagged for deletion, but the odd message (such as your booking example) is left for me to decide.

When you click on those "undecided' emails the preview pane will usually show you enough of the message to see if it is genuine. If in doubt you can download the full message (into Mailwasher) and read it.

I am using MailWasher Pro and find it to be worth every cent of the price, especially in the time it saves and the avoidance of accidental deletions. It currently flags 95% of all incoming spam & viruses, and all I had to do to configure it was to add the list of my valid email addresses to activate the "mail not for me" feature.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

PS I just checked 44 emails from a list server I subscribe to, and it took just two minutes. Only one email was wanted & dowloaded.

whiskeytangofoxtrot
24-06-2004, 08:48 PM
See the sticky, looks like it's the usual.

Billy T
24-06-2004, 09:46 PM
I don't think so WTF, not this time. By my reading of the thread beetle already knows that end of the problem. It is dealing with the general in-flow that appears to be a problem for her, more specifically the sorting of wheat from chaff on her old clearnet address.

You may not be using Mailwasher to best advantage beetle, that is why I pointed out that, correctly configured, it will let you quickly sort the deletes from the keeps and automatically learn and mark the spam.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

Jim B
24-06-2004, 10:46 PM
To quote beetle
>its a non used email addy, but pops up in my box saying i have sent it, but i know i havent,>

This is exactly the problem addressed in the sticky post.

She knows she can use mail washer to sort and delete them but she was wanting to know how to stop them even arriving in the first place.

The answer is she can't, as this address is is being used by virus effected computers. Even though she doesn't send with this address she needs it to stay active as she sometimes get genuine mail from this address still so closing this addresss is not an option.

So beetle I am afraid you will have to live with it.

Billy T
25-06-2004, 08:42 AM
> but i was wondering if and how
> easy it would be to do filtering on this email addy?
> as it is set to forward anyway?? or just fiddle with
> xtra a bit more?

>> as i know i cannot fix the spam
>> problem from others, and i dont want to have a ohno
>> not another stupid email post idea....to annoy people

> so i could block or bounce those mailer dem ? or a
> bounced mail this way? How do other people have their filter or
> blacklist set up? what settings do they have in place,?

This section contains the questions Jim. It was beetle's clear intention not to infinge the "sticky post" issue, hence my response to WTF's unhelpful post, and this reply to your kneejerk reaction.

It is so much better to post helpful advice, than to niggle at those who are genuinely trying to help.

But it takes all types.

Cheers

Billy 8-{) :|

whiskeytangofoxtrot
25-06-2004, 09:18 AM
> It is so much better to post helpful advice, than to
> niggle at those who are genuinely trying to help.
>
> But it takes all types.

You know I can almost hear the brass band in your head and you singing along "I am so great, I am so great"

Naff. Condescension really is your strong suit.

Jim B
25-06-2004, 09:20 AM
Your post told beetle nothing she did not already know so I find it a bit rich that you refer to other peoples posts as kneejerk and unhelpful.

Just accept that you can't always be right however difficult this might be for you and to continue to try and justify your actions does you no credit.

metla
25-06-2004, 10:22 AM
WTF, The only redundant thing about this thread is your post and you know it.

Poppa John
25-06-2004, 10:52 AM
W T F Just Bloody Bugger off will you PJ

Everybody else, Sorry PJ

nzStan
25-06-2004, 12:21 PM
> WTF, The only redundant thing about this thread is
> your post and you know it.
>

Ditto.

Fire-and-Ice
25-06-2004, 01:06 PM
> You know I can almost hear the brass band in your
> head and you singing along "I am so great, I am so
> great"
>
> Naff. Condescension really is your strong suit.

It takes one to know one. ;-)