PDA

View Full Version : Problem: printing a book from Word

alanpreston
24-06-2004, 01:20 PM
I need to print a 250 page book from MS Word (learning Perl).

The printer at work will print duplex (both sides), and I want to print the book in half size - ie 2 pages per sheet.
That part is easy.

The catch is this:
I want to cut the pages, and bind them as a book. As such, I will need to have pages 1 and 3 on one side, and 2 and 4 on the other.

Of course, I could just go through selecting and dragging stuff around, so the the document itself actually had the pages in that order, but then of course the Word page numbering in the headers would get jumbled up, not to mention the labour involved.

Anyone know how I can do it?

Of course, I could just print it in full A4 size, but I want something I can hold and read easily.

Jen C
24-06-2004, 01:49 PM
Why not set up the word document to A5 size, print on both sides and then have the pages bound with one of those spiral binders (the Warehouse stationery has this service). Although bearing in mind, 250 pages is a lot of pages and if you are going to be using A5 with the standard font size, you will end up with nearly double that amount of current pages which will be very difficult to bind even with printing on both sides of the paper. So, either break the book down into sections and have say 2-3 books or go for A4 sized paper.

Jen C
24-06-2004, 01:54 PM
> Why not set up the word document to A5 size, print on both sides

I should clarify this, I meant to actually print onto A5 paper as well rather than having to cut A4 into A5 sized paper.

Murray P
24-06-2004, 02:10 PM
Would not converting to Publisher or Adobe Pagemaker or PDF give you more options for layout and printing. Word can get a bit cranky when you start cuuting & pasting in big documents. Mind you, if you don't have access to those programmes it would be cheaper to buy the book.

Cheers Murray P

alanpreston
24-06-2004, 03:01 PM
Thanks guys, both good suggestions.

Murray,
I tried converting the document to Adobe Acrobat 6.0 proffessional, but I can't see an option in there to get what I want.
I assume/hope that a desktop publishing application would provide this functionality, but unfortunately I don't own one.

Jen C,
your idea would probably work, athough I have to admit I've never used A5 paper. I guess most printers would be able to handle it. One problem for me is that I'm printing to a network printer in a large office, so it's a bit hard to control paper/jobs etc.

Another similar idea would be to use Word's "2per-page" option, print all the odd pages, then feed the same paper back through the other way up, printing all even pages.

It just annoys me that something so obvious should be missing from a "full-featured" word processing program. Word can do a million things that I'll never need, but it can't do something this simple.
Surely I'm not the first person to ever want to print a more manageable size book from a PC document?

Cheers, Alan

godfather
24-06-2004, 03:13 PM
What you want to do is able to be done in Word 2002 and later it appears.

http://www.microsoft.com/Education/CreateBooklet.aspx

alanpreston
24-06-2004, 03:35 PM
Thanks Godfather, that looks pretty close to what I want. I don't have Office 2002 on my work PC, but I have OfficeXP at home, and I can probably print that format to a PDF and put that on my work PC to print from.

Cheers.

Incidentally, I use Mozilla Firefox 0.8 instead of Internet Explorer, and that MS link wouldn't open in it, so I was forced to start up IE.
Mainly I suspect because of MS's mean-spirited and selfish habit of breaking open standards like html/jave etc ,with the express purpose of locking users in to their software.

Jen C
24-06-2004, 03:40 PM
> Incidentally, I use Mozilla Firefox 0.8 instead of
> Internet Explorer, and that MS link wouldn't open in
> it, so I was forced to start up IE.

Godfathers link worked fine for me, and I am using Firefox 0.9 on a Linux system. Did you try right-clicking on the link and selecting open in a new tab?

Rob99
24-06-2004, 05:05 PM
You can set it up with Word XP in the printing options just select Book Fold

Rob

alanpreston
24-06-2004, 11:11 PM
Jen C,

Thanks,
Yes I did open in a new tab.
In fact, the Windows version of Firefox allows you to ctrl-click the link instead, wihch opens not only in a new tab, but in the background also, leaving you free to continue reading/clicking other links in the original page, while the link loads - I love this feature! I prefer it also, as I tend to use the keyboard as much as possible instead of the mouse.

I have to admit I haven't used 0.9 in Linux yet, though.

Thanks Rob99, I will give it a go in Word XP. Haven't had time yet.

Cheers.