PDA

View Full Version : I just killed my Extended partition, how would I get it back?

Chilling_Silence
24-06-2004, 10:31 AM
Yeah, it was a dumb thing to do.. But I went into the Windows Disk Manager and killed off my Linux partition, and it took the rest of the extended partitions with it :-(

How do I get back what was on my Fat32 Extended partition, there's about 45 gigs of "Stuff" on there.

I plan on looking into a few Linux Rescue CD (http://insert.cd) but until then... I just want to know if any PressF1'ers could suggest a way for me to recover my FAT. It didnt physically erase the data because it took about 2 seconds to make the change and I shut it right down when I realised what I'd done.

Any help much appreciated

Chill.

kiki
24-06-2004, 11:47 AM
You clicked on the specific linux partition inside the extended partition? Or you clicked on the extended partition itself and deleted it? Because doing the latter would delete everything inside the extended partition, but deleting the specific linux partition inside the extended shouldn't have done anything.

Chilling_Silence
24-06-2004, 11:50 AM
Yup, I clicked on the Linux partition.. Made sure of it because this was what I _didnt_ want to happen :-(

Im using the INSERT Rescue CD right now working out how to use gpart, hope it does what I want....

Chill.

Pheonix
24-06-2004, 11:51 AM
Mabe something like this (http://www.partition-recovery.com/overview.htm)

beama
24-06-2004, 11:56 AM
chill
you could try partion magic or a file recovery program there was a post a while back by Robo requesting information on these they may be able to recover the information.
BUT if you intend to take the drive to a professional to recover the data (expensive) don't touch the drive, that was the recommendation I received when a server (linux) hard drive went south . If the data is valuable they prefer the disk to untouched by any recovery methods attempeted by the owner for obvious reasons

kiki
24-06-2004, 12:20 PM
You could try Norton Disk Doctor. What probably happened as when it deleted the linux partition it overwrote some part of the MBR which said there was another partition inside that extended one.

Murray P
24-06-2004, 02:21 PM
I agree, the data is still there on the partition is just waiting to be reallocated but until you write something to it or change what it is it wont be formatted. It could be as simple as recovering the MBR unless something has been written to the allocation table then it may be a bit more complicated.

Cheers Murray P

Graham L
24-06-2004, 02:28 PM
IFF (If and only if --- a nice mathematical term) you know the exact layout of the extended partition (its size, and the exact size of each of the logical partitions) you can do it with fdisk (not the horrible MS FDISK ;-)).

Just remember to tell it not to test the areas. And don't use mkfs to make filesystems after exiting from fdisk. MS will have just clouted the partition table. Fortunately Linux doesn't use the FAT.

There's a reason why all the documentation advises never using M<S partitioning on Linux file systems, and never to use Linux partitioners on MS partitions.

Chilling_Silence
24-06-2004, 02:33 PM
Not a hope of me remembering it, however gpart does a great job of finding the partitions, its just that when it writes it, it doesnt seem to write the External partition information. That's kinda crucial because the Fat32 partition I want the Data from is hdc7 (Extended...) :-(

Thanks for the help so far guys.. Still pressing on....

Chill.

Graham L
24-06-2004, 02:38 PM
It's a good idea to write down the partition information. A sticky label on the actual drive is a good place. That's like carrying an umbrella to prevent the rain. ;-)

Chilling_Silence
24-06-2004, 02:48 PM
Good advice for preventative maintenance but that still leaves me at square one.. Well.. Actually Im making some progress.... :-(

Chilling_Silence
24-06-2004, 04:50 PM
Well, so far its looking promising...

Im using one of my primary 10 gig partitions, and some file-recovery software to copy the files across to the 10 gig partition.

I then reboot into Knoppix and send the data across the LAN to my USB2.0 External 120 HDD (I could do it locally, but the desktop only have USB1.1 so its faster to send it across the LAN to may laptop with the external HDD shared.....).

Then I remove the files from the 10 gig that I now have backed up and continue on my merry way, back to the File Recovery software to do another 10 gigs... So far Ive done about 15 gigs worth :-( Its a slow process......

Thanks guys

Chill.

Mzee
24-06-2004, 11:37 PM
Can't help you with your problem, but I have just had a similar thing happen. I went to format one of my Fat32 partitions and Partition Magic suggested that there was an error & wished to fix it, so I allowed it to go ahead.
It seems that the error was the Linux partition which will not boot now. I will have to run the Xandros setup over it.
Btw, Xandros will reinstall your Linux & save all your data and extra software in a folder.