PDA

View Full Version : Notebook Power Adapter for Travelling by Plane

odyssey
23-06-2004, 02:48 PM
Hi Folks,

Travelling to Europe in a few weeks and will be taking my laptop which I was wanting to use on the plane to help keep me amused for the 20 odd hours flying - well at least part of the time!

I'm flying British Airways and with the seat I'm in, it has +15VDC 'at seat' power supply delivering 75W via a hypertronics connector.

BA recommend people purchase the TeleAdapt InflightPower adapter - a DC to 110VAC Inverter (which you would then have to plug in your normal power adapter to) at a cost of 90 pounds but they also say there are a number of other commercial adapters available to use.

I've been doing some research on the net and the only adapter that I can get in NZ that perhaps may fit the bill is the Targus Universal 70 Watt Auto/Air Power Adaptor (http://www.targus.com/AU/product_details.asp?sku=APD10AU). This is a straight DC to DC adapter so therefore I can do away with taking a second adapter onboard and also it costs approx half the amount of the other adapter.

So my questions are
1) Would this be a suitable adapter and is the cigarette lighter connection the same as the hypertronics connector required (literature I've read seem to indicate they are very similar if not the same)?
2) Are people aware of any other adapters which may be more suitable instead?

BA haven't been particularly helpful when I spoke to them and just tried to fob me off by saying to purchase one onboard. I have to say I'm surprised that the adapters are not rented out onboard the plane though as it must be a particularly common request now!

Many thanks for any assistance people can provide.

Cheers
Dave

(BTW my laptop is a Toshiba Tecra M2)

Graham L
23-06-2004, 03:58 PM
Swissair suggest a Targus PA350E adapter to their passengers, so presumably Targus know what is needed. ;-)

Another brand of Auto/Air DC/DCadapter has two input cords, so I suspect that the plugs might be different. One inverter is said to be "the first to be approved" for use in planes. ("airline laptop" to Google).

Hypertronics is a manufacturer's name. They make a lot of different connectors. ;-)

Graham L
23-06-2004, 04:07 PM
Another look at Google, with "airline seat power" confirms that the plugs are diffferent, by the availability of adapter cables with an airline plug and a car socket. :D

Prices from $7 US odd - $26 US.

odyssey
23-06-2004, 04:18 PM
Thanks Graham,

I notice that on the Targus model I mentioned originally, that on the website if you look at images that the cigarette adapter part fits over a smaller plug which I assume is the airline plug.

Appreciate all your assistance.
Dave