PDA

View Full Version : Intrusion Prevention Software v Antivirus & Firewall

yorky
23-06-2004, 11:33 AM
my Norton subscription is about to run out so have to make a decision. I've come across a product Prevx Home ( www.prevx.com ) which is 'the next generation of security software' able to pick up day 1 virus / attacks etc. There is an Enterprise version but the home version is free.

I'm wondering whether to try it. The alternatives I'm considering are AVG+Zonelarm (free), or Zonealarm Antivirus(US$20)

Anybody know how these compare??

nzStan
23-06-2004, 12:28 PM
Try this two threads on recent discussions about anti-virus.

http://pressf1.pcworld.co.nz/thread.jsp?forum=1&thread=48270

http://pressf1.pcworld.co.nz/thread.jsp?forum=1&thread=48310

Barnabas
23-06-2004, 01:24 PM
I currently use a mixture of AVG, Sygate Personal Firewall and common sense. I have yet to have a virus or any other nasty invade my PC. Having said that, the Prevx software that you mention does look very interesting. Ive downloaded it and am going to give it a crack to see what it's like. It looks like it complements anti virus and firewall software so I think you would still need need them.
Ill let you know how I find Prevx.
Cool
B.

yorky
23-06-2004, 03:52 PM
> It looks like it
> complements anti virus and firewall software so I
> think you would still need need them.
> Ill let you know how I find Prevx.

That's what I suspected. Look forward to hearing how you get on with PREVX.

Y

Barnabas
01-07-2004, 12:15 PM
Well I've had Prevx running for a week and a bit now and have to say I assigned it to the recycle bin. The concept is good but the execution is somewhat lacking. I constantly get buffer overflow messages when everything is running fine, any time you want to install anything you have to disable it as it locks down the registry with an iron fist, the graphical interface is rather ordinary and the whole thing seems quite clunky and manages to slow my boot time down a fair bit.
Anyway thats just my 2 cents worth.
FYI Im running windows xp on a p111 with 512 Ram.
Cheers
B.

yorky
01-07-2004, 03:00 PM
Thnx Barnabas, I guess I'll pass on it this time and pay up for Norton subscription.
PREVX is still in beta, so will put it in the 1yr bring forward tray!
Cheers Y