PDA

View Full Version : Hard drive problem

Shroeder
23-06-2004, 11:25 AM
Hi there

I have a problem accessing my HD sometimes and am wondering if the indications are that it is ready to give up the ghost, or is there a simple solution I don't know about.

System Win2000 on a 4 year old computer

On start up, or on accessing a program, ocassionally I get a noise from the HDD (I think) that sounds like it is trying unsuccessfully to be accessed - sort of a "chiiink... chiiink... chiink" sound (NB: Not a grinding sound) and I am unable to do anything at all.

When I hit Ctrl-Alt-Del I find that the "unsafe removal of device" application is running and that if I end this task, I can now access the HDD OK

Any ideas, do I need a new HDD?

Thanks in advance :)

Cptn Hotshot
23-06-2004, 01:48 PM
From the symptoms you describe I would definitely say that your HD is about to bite the dust and is terminal.
I would take what limited time remains to do a backup of your important data.

Graham L
23-06-2004, 02:57 PM
The repeated chink sounds probably indicate that it's retrying blocks which haven't read successfully. It might be time for a full backup. It's always best to do a backup just before a crash, not just after. :D

drcspy
23-06-2004, 07:41 PM
check on the make of hdd and goto th emanufacturers site and download their diagnostic prog...........most if not all mfgs have this service available that'll tell you if the hdd is dying for sure