PDA

View Full Version : Completely O/T. Sky TV

JJJJJ
23-06-2004, 10:06 AM
Has anyone had problems with getting service with Sky TV?
Over the past few days I have been getting numerous disruptions with reception. Sometimes for a few minutes , sometimes for hours. I even missed the Warriors game . All I get is the message "rain fade. No signal"
I have been on the satelite service since the day it started and never had problems like this before.
Last night I switched on at 7PM and no picture. Just the message. No picture all night and still none this morning.
I phoned them this morning and was told "we might be able to get a serviceman around tomorrow" Tomorrow! I went through the roof!!
$70 a month. I expect service within hours not days. They don't seem to care.
The joys of a monopoly. Now if we had as many TV suppliers as we have ISP's we might get some service.
Or are my expectations too high?
Jack

nzStan
23-06-2004, 10:13 AM
I get rain fade on my Digital service whenever there is sustained heavy rain. It can be annoying but usually rectify itself when the storm passes over. Longest I've been without signal was 30 minutes.

If this was happening frequently I would check if there is an obstruction in front of your satellite dish. I had a really vigorous bananna tree growing directly in front my dish and I had to chop it down when the leaves started to cover it.

CYaBro
23-06-2004, 10:16 AM
Sometimes when I've had this problem I've unplugged the power to the decoder, waited about 30 seconds and plugged it back in.
Then it seems to come right.

nzStan
23-06-2004, 10:17 AM
Oh btw - check your dish alignment. Last night's storm in Auckland was intense - not sure about Rotorua. Something like a cable could have been knocked loosed. Just have a quick look at it if it is accessible (don't do it if there is a risk you could fall off the ladder or roof!),

JJJJJ
23-06-2004, 10:19 AM
Yes , I've worked out it is probably an aerial problem. Unfortunately I have two stories and I can't even see the aerial from the ground.And I don't have a ladder and if I did I'm too old to go climbing ladders anyway.
Jack

JJJJJ
23-06-2004, 12:52 PM
And another slap in the face from the b's.
Just received a letter from them telling me my sub. has increased from $70.63 to $73.63.

R2x1
23-06-2004, 02:17 PM
> And another slap in the face from the b's.
> Just received a letter from them telling me my sub.
> has increased from $70.63 to $73.63.

Could you make a suitable reduction in the payment due to "Failure to supply agreed service" ? Ask politely what there standard compensation for the stress afctor is, and ask if your lawyer's advice should be sought.
:-)
R2

Winston001
23-06-2004, 02:24 PM
I had this problem recently. Rang Sky and discussed the issues. The nice lady told me to try switching the power off at the wall - but to make sure the decoder was switched on before I did that.

Turn the wall switch on after a few seconds and, as Cyabro says, all fixed. Give it a try. Has worked twice for me now including the rain fade problem.

JJJJJ
23-06-2004, 02:54 PM
All fixed. My grizzling must have done some good.
He pulled out the old decoder and put in a new one and we were back in business.

tweak\'e
23-06-2004, 06:56 PM
>I phoned them this morning and was told "we might be able to get a serviceman around tomorrow" Tomorrow! I went through the roof!! I expect service within hours not days

LMAO :-)

not sure of the current sitution but a 3 week delay was comman here. thats what you get for living in the sticks ;-)

keep an eye on it as a decoder swap normally dosn't fix that sort of fault. it can be just a low voltage out put but 90% of the time its a dish fault so i wouldn't be to suprised if you have problems again.

Woof
25-06-2004, 09:51 AM
Re: if we had as many TV suppliers as we have ISP's we might get some service.

This cynic doubts it as basicaly most ISPs signals arrive via the same (Telecom) lines monopoly .

What we really need is Telstra/Clear fibre cabling. Surely they could start a program of undergrounding in conjunction with electricty up the main roads and only use copper for the last half km or so ....

robo
25-06-2004, 10:16 AM
Hey, I'm watching the England Portugal Penalty shootout right now.
Once Euro is over, they can come collect their decoder.
robo.

Capt.Hook
25-06-2004, 10:27 AM
Geez robo, who woulda thought you were a Portugal supporter:D

so you going to keep us updated on the score?

robo
25-06-2004, 10:34 AM
I think I am a portugal supporter now (sob) can barely see through the tears as I type this. Where's my France shirt? (have to have a backup team)
robo.

robo
25-06-2004, 10:36 AM
Oh, and how about this:

Penalties:
England: Beckham shoots first, commentator said he slipped, but he didn't and he cocks it up over the bar. I wouldn't have let him take one at all. He's crap at them (in the France game, as an example).
Portugal: Deco scores, 1-0 to Portugal

England: Owen slots it. 1-1, England still have a chance.
Portugal: Sumao scores, 2-1 to Portugal

England: Lampard scores, 2-2
Portugal: Rui Costa takes it, and misses! 2-2 still. Rui Costa scored the second goal, he's a good player.

England: John Terry's hands are shaking when he places the ball, but scores. 3-2 to England.
Portugal: Ronaldo (the one that plays for Man Utd) scores. 3-3

England: Owen Hargreaves, late sub, scores (first time England haven't scored in middle of goal, first time goalie stood his ground)
Portugal: Maniche scores.

That's 4-4 after five. Now it's sudden death shootout. A different player has to take each one. Nobody has saved one yet. Only two misses.

England: Ashley Cole scores. 5-4
Portugal: Postiga (scored the first Portugese goal) scores with a bobbly one. 5-5

England: Vassell, Ricardo goes the right way and saves it! 5-5
Portugal: Ricardo (goalie) takes it and scores! Portugal win.

England go have a cup of tea and a lie down. Portugal are first semi-finalists.

robo.

Capt.Hook
25-06-2004, 10:44 AM
Awsome commentary robo...there's definitely an opening in the media for good commentators...

Cheers for that

Hook

Big John
25-06-2004, 12:34 PM
I had a problem when I could note get reception for a whole day. Called Sky and they said Rain fade I and I said it was not raining and that the sky was clear for miles. They said try it the next day. I did and it still was not going so called them again. Had to go through the power cycle thing and still no go. They said they would send someone out to check it.

2 days later the guy came and looked at the decoder and said the signal was bad (which is what I was telling them all along as it displays on the screen). He went and checked the dish and found that the plastic bit that picks up the signals in the centre (cant remember the name for it off the top of my head) was full of water. He said it happened reasonably often and simply replaced it, checked the alignment and it was away.

When I got my next bill I sent them a cheque for the month less 5 days worth of viewing and sent a letter saying why. The next month they had deducted the 5 days viewing and I was square again.

Did miss a few programs that I really wanted to see though.