PDA

View Full Version : Windows SE missing files

WILLWILLWILLWILL
23-06-2004, 10:05 AM
Recently I had ocasion to do a re-install of my OS. Windows 98 SE. When it started for the first time, it told me "... file cannot ..find. Please insert the Windows cd..". Which I did. But It still kept telling me " such and such a file cannot be found ...". I clicked Skip file" and it went on to tell me about another missing file. Same circle. Lots of files couldn't be found. ksuser.dll,gm16.dls, wdmaud.drv, sysaudio.sys, swmidi.sys, portcls.sys, ksclock.dll,MSVBM.DLL. What can I do?

godfather
23-06-2004, 10:29 AM
> What can I do?

Clean the Windows 98 CD

Billy T
23-06-2004, 11:03 AM
I had a problem like this once and it was faulty RAM. The file faults were quite consistent because they were always trying to load into the same section of RAM.

I proved this initially by swapping the sticks over in their sockets, whereby different files got lost!

Memtest confirmed the fault and a new stick fixed the problem.

I'd still clean the CD first, and if it has serious scratches get it re-polished. Video rental shops are agents for a good service.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

WILLWILLWILLWILL
30-06-2004, 01:29 PM
I feel pretty foolish, but you were 100% right. I got Disc Doctor and polished the disc, and like magic, the list of missing files was gone. Many thanks.