PDA

View Full Version : Download Accelerators

Brain_Cell_Anon
23-06-2004, 02:41 AM
Dear People.
Can any one explain how these so called 'download accelerators' are supposed to work please? ?:|

I assume it's to do with the packet size, but I'm not sure. Other than that I can't see what real difference they can make on a system such as the net!

Regards,

The Cell. :D

R2x1
23-06-2004, 03:20 AM
Hi B C A
The accelerator I use is "Flash Get" which has a slightly biased explanation HERE (http://www.amazesoft.com/); it has two main features.

First, is the ability to resume an interrupted download (from most sites) which is quite a handy feature when you
get dropped at almost the end of a large file. Just re-connect and it carries on from the interrupt point.

Second, it can "split" files into up to 10 segments, and download them
simultaneously, enabling the maximum
use of your modem's bandwidth. The segments can even be from different sites, and it certainly makes a
dramatic difference.
Hope this helps
R2

Terry Porritt
23-06-2004, 08:44 AM
For most of the time I take the word "accelerator" with a pinch of salt, but I prefer to call them 'download managers'.

A useful feature is to be able to schedule a a whole bunch of files for download, and go away for a coffee whilst it takes place, knowing that file resume will occur if there is any problem.

Murray P
23-06-2004, 09:12 AM
Download Manager (http://www.safer-networking.org/index.php?page=articles&detail=download-managers) reviews. Just brief ones from Safer Networking the Spybot S&E people but will get you on the track of whats good and whats not.

Mozilla and Mozilla Firefox have their own build in download managers (not accelloraters) which is very handy. I only bother to use so called accelloraters for large files for the ability to download from multiple sources and give weight or swap entirely to one source over another if one gets a bit cranky.

Cheers Murray P

TonyF
23-06-2004, 09:44 AM
>
> Mozilla and Mozilla Firefox have their own build in
> download managers
Ditto Opera !!!

metla
23-06-2004, 09:50 AM
Flashget is most definitly an accelerator,giving far better consistent speeds then not using one,it also has about 48 billion features that i won't go into for the 469th time.

In my personal opinion the built in manager in Firefox is worthless.

It maybe only me but if i pause a download when i restart it it finishes immediatly no matter where in the file it was upto.

on dial up.

R2x1
23-06-2004, 01:54 PM
> > Mozilla and Mozilla Firefox have their own build in
> > download managers
> Ditto Opera !!!

"When 'using a sledgehammer to crack a walnut', it is useful to have a hammer that is more durable than the walnut".
Flashget may be overkill for getting 5Kb files, but it surely makes a difference on the big ones. I find it amazingly stable through all the versions, and the $0.00 price is just right for me ;-)
The built in managers don't "manage' enough for to justify their inclusion in otherwise good browsers
<Time to duck>
R2

bk T
23-06-2004, 05:53 PM
I've tried Flashget and DAP but don't find any improvement in download speed as compared to Windows' built-in downloader. Probably, able to resume the download process is the only plus point of using these so-called "download accelerators".

I'm using 256K Jetstream connection and am getting about 29 -33 kbs whether or not using any accelerator. I don't know about dial-up connections, is there any speed improvement?

Cheers

tweak\'e
23-06-2004, 06:57 PM
in theory there should be no difference between the different downloading apps. however being able to resume downloads is vital and the use of mirrors can make a BIG difference for broadband users.

don't forget there are "download accelerators" that are internt settings tweaking programs, they don't actually download anything themselves they just alter windows settings. you can get some gain in performance but it all depends on your type of connection.

TonyF
24-06-2004, 12:37 AM
"download manager reviews" in Google yields 836,000 hits - enough to keep you busy tonight. A quick surf yields a great variety of recommendations. Interesting that Getright and Leechget integrate with Opera right click.
I find Getright with Opera a neat alternative to Opera's own manager.
Cheers Tony

rodb
27-06-2004, 07:19 PM
I have used Star Downloader (free) for several years with excellent results. It splits files for concurrent downloading and will resume if the connection is broken. A fine program.