PDA

View Full Version : PDA's and file formats

metla
23-06-2004, 12:20 AM
I have contemplated purchasing a pda (second hand) in the last few months but haven't really been able to think of a reason to warrant doing so, but today it occurred to me as I rushed back to my comp to check on the availability and price of an item for the 20th time that I should just be able to pull up the pricelist on a hand held device.

Hence my question, are older model Palm's capable of viewing a large Excel file, are there free viewers, would I have to side with bill gates and buy a pda running a ms variant?

Same goes for pdf files.

As always any info appreciated.

robsonde
23-06-2004, 12:33 AM
I have a palm m515 and always keep an XL file of the latest price list.
you do need a viewer for the palm to read XL but you can get free ones, some of the fancy stuff in XL is lost but the basic stuff is all good.

as for PDF? i dont know......

i am sure you can find a simple way to convert it to postscript and then get a postscript viewer, after all PDF is just a mangled version of postscript :-)

whiskeytangofoxtrot
23-06-2004, 01:04 AM
Yup, my Palm shipped with an Excell/Powerpoint//Word tool that automagically syncs the documents when I dock, and allows basic editing on the PDA itself.

Adobe reader for Palm OS is available from Adobe's web-site - I wouldn't be without mine for drug references etc.

Heaps of good open and free apps here:
http://www.palmopensource.com/

Hunt around on the net and there is stacks of good support for PalmOS based PDA's, I think the MS based ones are yet to come into their own.

metla
23-06-2004, 01:41 AM
Cheers guys,that is exactly what i needed to hear,Just one more quick question.

Seeing as im working to a budget and looking considerbly lower spec then the m515 would a less powerful unit have trouble displaying a large excel file?

This (http://www.trademe.co.nz/structure/0002-0361-0121-/auction-12606272.htm) is about where im heading,I would hate to purchase it then discard it out of frustration.

whiskeytangofoxtrot
23-06-2004, 01:57 AM
I'd go for an M130 if you could. A bit of a step up.

lagbort
23-06-2004, 05:22 PM
i dont see why not, of course things may take a bit longer to open than on a newer palm, but even on my one (zire 72) even the largest excel spreadsheet only takes a blink of an eye to open