PDA

View Full Version : Proxies, Dial on demand, Home network...

00falcon
22-06-2004, 10:08 PM
OK... The story...

Moved a comp from the garage into the house for the misses...
then moved another in for the flaty... so theres now 3 "puters" in the house... and one in the garage...
I think my network is working as it shud...

We want to all be able to share a "Dial-up connection" (not all at the same time... its just they are all ready networked...)

I downloaded AnalogX's "Proxy" and even tho this is my first attempt at a proxy i think i've got it going sweet...

now its time to put it to use...

I have set up a P233 with 2k and a modem... as the proxy...
My question is... There is a setting in the built-in "internet conection sharing" "dial on demand" can this be set to automagiclly dial when ever a connection is asked for by a program... Such as the one im using...???

so i dont have to RAS in and connect...

also it'll be set to drop the line after a period of in activity... so basiclly it'll be left on all the time... dialing when one wants the internet...

Broadband is looking more and more justifiable each day...

Falcon

tweak\'e
22-06-2004, 10:22 PM
are you asking or telling ? ;-)

easiest way would be to use ICS in which case you can use the dail on command setting for it. however finding a free firewall that works fully with ICS can be tricky.

analogX proxy works fine for most things (except icq :( ) tho email is a pain.

i would use rdu (remote dissconnection utility) which can enable each client pc to make the main pc dailup when they want to.