PDA

View Full Version : OT: Protecting a signed rugby ball

mister harbies
22-06-2004, 04:41 PM
I know this is probably the wrong place to ask this question, but this is the only forum I have joined.

Anyways, I have a rugby ball signed by the All Blacks. It look super, but I have experienced degradation of the signatures in the past with other rugby balls. I don't want this to happen to this ball as I will be selling it.

Is there any sort of protective spray that could be used to keep the signatures fixed on the ball for a few years? I don't want to varnish the ball anything, but instead have a protective layer that can not be seen or recognised.

Any ideas?

Mister Harbies

Winston001
22-06-2004, 06:57 PM
Place it in a vacuum.

Oh - then again, it might explode :_|

Or block the tube ]:)

nzStan
22-06-2004, 07:10 PM
From http://www.sweetspotnews.com/advice.html#Fight

Fighting Enemies

Autographs have two man enemies - Forgers and the sun. Collectors may have a better grip on fighting the sun than slimeball forgers, but no one can be sure of that. Non-ultraviolet treated plastic contains protect items only frm fingerprints; and UV-resistant containers are prohibitively expensive, particularly for the weekend collector of single-signed signatures. There is a way to protect your collection from UV light. Krylon. Crystal Clear Krylon (Product 1305) is no invitation to take your collection to the beach, but its chemistry is touted to protect autographs from fading as well as anything else. This product is used by graphic artists and photographers who want to protect grahite and other artwork. Experts recommend a light spray to protect the ball and to preserve the natural appearance of the autographed surface. Place the item on the cap of the can and hold the can about 14 inches away; spray lightly, maybe two seconds. Just a quick shot is all that's needed. Consider two more coats, but users should use their own judgment. Warning, some people challenge the use of Krylon on signed baseballs, arguing that any coating will act the same as lacquer of old.

kiki
22-06-2004, 07:31 PM
Just don't kick it around.

Capt.Hook
22-06-2004, 07:33 PM
Just send it to me,me hearty,:D
and the good Capt.Hook wil protect it for you.;\

whats your number?, my freind]:)

Growly
22-06-2004, 08:10 PM
Maybe covering it in glad rap and vacuum sealing the bag?

metla
22-06-2004, 10:18 PM
Spray and wipe.....

Greg S
22-06-2004, 10:27 PM
> Spray and wipe.....

That's naughty!!!

:^O

kiki
22-06-2004, 10:36 PM
> Spray and wipe.....

:^O :^O Entertainment for the day...

Sorry to hear you got got banned from Overclockers Metla. Gosh they've got their head up their ass don't they. "Lets bann him for bumping up an old thread!" Did you swear at him in a private message or something? I would've too. They are so pedantic its not funny. Its not hard to see why they've got twice as many members as PressF1 but don't get the half the number of posts on a daily basis. Its nearly dead in fact.

mister harbies
22-06-2004, 11:23 PM
Thanks NZStan,

I will look into the kryptonite! :)

And to the other guys and girls, I am not intending to take the ball to the beach or anything stupid like that. Im also not going to use anything lame like microwavable gradwrap or whatever.

This is supposed to be a professional product :)

Thanks guys

Mister Harbies

somebody
23-06-2004, 07:49 PM
Beware if those fixative sprays contain solvents, as they could cause the signatures to be damaged. The best thing is probably a dark, dust-free cupboard or custom-made box - although that means that you can't see it or show it off....

stu120404
24-06-2004, 11:58 AM
> Sorry to hear you got got banned from Overclockers
> Metla. Gosh they've got their head up their ass don't
> they. "Lets bann him for bumping up an old thread!"

:^O HAHA! :D ;\ ]:)

csinclair83
24-06-2004, 02:03 PM
I have 3 signed balls , 1 rugby, 1 soccer and 1 netball (was my sisters but i brought it off her)

and the rugby one was from the 95 world cup and its still in pristine condition....

this is how...

as some of you know..fish tanks are made out of glass..
you can go to a engravers or a shop that makes glass equipment and request a custom made glass box which has a lid that you can either stick on somehow or just place on top or bottom...with the corners of the 4 sides and one end (top or bottom) stuck together with some stuff thats made by selleys and have one end not glued so u can use it to access the ball if you ever want to...

mine are all stuck together apart from the soccer ball which has 1 end avalable since my brother used to take it out and show off to friends but since its now mine and yeah I'm thinking of sticking it together...

and u can see all sides of the balls without touching it...

its worthy of a think of...

but i can say..the price might be a disadvantage as I got the rugby one done for $50 i think....but later on when you sell...you might get that $50 back and some profits....

If you want more on this, email me on chris_sinclair@xtra.co.nz (yes to some of you i've finally changed my ISP hehe)

Fire-and-Ice
24-06-2004, 02:14 PM
Hey Chris, the spambots are just gonna love you for that nice juicy new email addy. ;-)

Graham L
24-06-2004, 02:42 PM
Watch out for the silicone sealers: for anything like this you need the "neutral cure" type. The other sort releases acetic acid as it cures. (That's vinegar when it's mixed with water, and there's water in air.) If you have used it to seal an airtight box, it has a vinegar atmosphere: not recommended for "archival storage".

Winston001
24-06-2004, 06:04 PM
A glass box is fine but fragile. It still allows light to penetrate and all those busy photons will slowly bleach the ball and signatures.

Filling the sealed box with a noble gas (inert) would be worth doing too.

csinclair83
24-06-2004, 07:23 PM
they can spam it all they want, its a alias for my real email address and if anyone emails that address i just published in Pressf1 then it goes into a folder for my alias address so yeah...can just delete entire folder with 1 click or 2....
:P

my glass boxes are out of the sun and yeah i agree they are fragile...
i keep them on my bookshelf which is in the darkest corner of my lounge.

But yeah you have a few ideas :)