PDA

View Full Version : usb to parallel converter cable (printer)

rmcb
22-06-2004, 03:51 PM
I have a laptop (ibm 600e) with a parallel port that wont work. I am trying to get a usb to parallel cable working with it. The cable shows up in device manager as a cy&s usb ptr cable and clicking properties say it is working ok with a driver from the net. The printer is a HP Deskjet 610c. I have d/l the driver for this from hp´s site and installed it ok, except there is no choice of printer port, only the default lpt1. Right clicking on the printer under start-settings-printers and choosing properties-details I get a choice of printing to the following ports com2 modem, com4 infrared, com5 communication port, file, lpt1, lpt3 infared printing port, usblpt1 usb port. None of these will work.
Any ideas???
Win 98

Graham L
22-06-2004, 04:02 PM
I believe that W98 has some problems with USB. It might be "nearly working", since it has found a usblpt1 port. :D

Have a look for any USB related patches which might exist for W98.

I know the feeling. (I'm having troubles with my laptop and printing with the USB converter but that's with Me. However, the backlight inverter is a more immediate problem. :_| ).

Cptn Hotshot
22-06-2004, 04:12 PM
I have one of these USB cables. My one works fine connecting an Epson Stylus Color 400 parallel port printer to a Win98se system at the USB port.

If I remember correctly, the cable came with its own installation disc which needed to be installed ahead of the cable being connected to the computer and printer. After installation, the cable effectively creates a USB printer port. The printer retained its own parallel port drivers so there was no need to update anything there. It was then a matter of assigning the new USB printer port to the printer.

I purchased my cable from Dick Smiths, and as I mentioned came bundled with its own installation disc. Would suggest you check that you are not missing an installation disc and/or installation manual.

rmcb
22-06-2004, 04:34 PM
Thanks for the replies.
Just as an experiement I connected the old parallel cable and booted up Knoppix 3.3.
I was then able to print fine from the parallel port!!
Back to Win98 and no printing from parallel port, I get this massage - There was an error printing to LPT1:for the printer(HP Deskjet 610c Series). Your file waiting to be printed was deleted.
Also when looking at print to the following ports, the USBLPT1 is now saying (USB Port not connected) so I think Win98 is ¨seeing or not seeing¨ the usb converter cable ok depending on if it is plugged in or not.

Cptn - I will try uninstalling the cable driver, unplug the cable and reinstall driver b4 plugging cable back in.

Oh yeah the cable came with no cd so it is a driver downloaded from the net.

mikebartnz
22-06-2004, 07:11 PM
What is your problem with your printer port. You may need to change the setting in the Bios. I usually set mine when I need it to ECP+EPP.

mikebartnz
22-06-2004, 07:13 PM
With most USB hardware you load the drivers before connecting the device.

rmcb
23-06-2004, 02:04 PM
I have played with bios etc settings untill my fingers bleed but it just wont print to LPT1 from Win 98, I have no idea why, Knoppix live Linux Cd it will, Morphix live Linux cd it wont????.
Anyway the converter cable now works if I follow this method.

Boot Win98
Plug in usb cable to laptop
Turn on printer
Print

Remember to unplug cable b4 next boot.
Weird ah??

Thanks the the help people.

Peter H
23-06-2004, 03:41 PM
Had similar problems with a USB 2.0 reader, connected to a PCI usb2 card. Had to unplug untill the system booted - Again W98se. Went into BIOS PNP/PCI config and disabled "Assign IRQ for USB" Opposite to what I would have thought.
Bye

momof4
12-05-2008, 06:35 PM
"I get this massage - There was an error printing to LPT1:for the printer(HP Deskjet 610c Series). Your file waiting to be printed was deleted."

We got this message too...it turned out we somehow had the computer set up in safe mode and it wouldn't print. Finally realized it (after unplugging and replugging all the cords) and restarted it in normal mode. Seems to work fine.....

beeswax34
12-05-2008, 09:30 PM
Might have fixed it after 4 years you know :rolleyes: