PDA

View Full Version : Using AVG on WinXP

pulling hair out
22-06-2004, 11:02 AM
Hi
This morning on Light FM a guy rang through saying that AVG worked great on all Windows OS, but not on WinXP.

He said that although AVG found the viruses, it couldn't get rid of them in WinXP. I'm on WinXP pro and removed NAV in order to take on AVG which I've found to be really good.

Has anyone else heard this? He told of a site to go to but I didn't have pen and paper at the time. I don't recall any mention of it in other posts.

Marg.

metla
22-06-2004, 11:05 AM
If the viruses have been grabbed by system restore then an anti-virus program wont be able to remove them,So system restore needs to be disabled first.

tweak\'e
22-06-2004, 11:08 AM
hes full of bull @#$%.

AVG works fine and removes viruses etc from XP. most likly he is an ex win98 user who has gone to XP and dosn't relise that no antivirus will remove viruses from the restore file. winME also has this problem as well hence why hes a 98 to xp user ;-)

my only comment with AVG free is you do get what you pay for! the paid avg7 ver is a bit better at detecting and removing viruses.

nzStan
22-06-2004, 11:24 AM
Ayy???? I just installed AVG on another XP PC over the weekend. Found two virus, cleaned it then I ran the scan again just to be sure.

pulling hair out
22-06-2004, 11:24 AM
Thanks for the info,

keep forgetting about System Restore or would have twigged on.
I'm happy with AVG and won't be changing.

Marg. :)