PDA

View Full Version : Exit all Windows programs before installing (Firefox 0.9)

Misty
21-06-2004, 09:38 PM
I have downloaded Firefox 0.9 and ready to instal. I get the message that I should exit all Windows programs before installing. Does this just mean the ones on the desktop, or does this mean including those running in the background also ? That would mean installing in Safe Mode ? I could have done this anyway without asking the question - however it would be good to know for the future too !

Misty :|

whiskeytangofoxtrot
21-06-2004, 09:39 PM
Just like installing anything else really, background programs aren't likely to be an issue, though occasionally AV software is.

I don't think I've ever taken heed of that warning and am yet to see any ill effects.

Growly
21-06-2004, 09:51 PM
>Just like installing anything else really, background programs aren't likely to >be an issue, though occasionally AV software is.

>I don't think I've ever taken heed of that warning and am yet to see any ill >effects.

I second that motion.

SKT174
22-06-2004, 11:23 AM
Third :P

Misty
22-06-2004, 07:36 PM
Thanks guys ( and ladies ?)
I downloaded with confidence in your replies. All has gone well and now have just got to convince Mrs Misty to use Mozilla Firefox as default as well ! (she is a trusting woman and increasingly adventurous !!). What was that thing about leaving shore .......................... !?

I mistakenly had deleted "Phoenix" thinking that it was past due by.. however I learned during download that I could have used the customisation parts. So there is something that others could profit by.

Misty :| this emoticon signifies "enigmatic" (eat your heart out Billy T)

:D :D

mark c
22-06-2004, 07:49 PM
Nice thread, very informative. I used to worry about the same thing but then thought you can't shut down everything because then there would be nothing. And isnt your MS OS a 'window' too.

agent
22-06-2004, 08:12 PM
Well you could run the setup program and then use Task Manager to close everything else ;)

I might also add that you need the Visual Basic Runtime 6.0 pack installed for Firefox to run.