PDA

View Full Version : My Internet Choices

csinclair83
21-06-2004, 08:11 PM
I've now come to 3 options of my new Dial Up Internet, which is XTRA, Clear or IHUG...and all 3 have written to me in writing that I can use more than 500hrs a month..

But I'm asking you because I dont know what they are like for connecting issues (do u connect immediately or takes 2-3 attempts) and is the reliablity good? do they have outages every day? or is things pretty good apart from the odd crap out which usually happens...

What one would you guys Recommend :)

Cheers

SKT174
21-06-2004, 08:15 PM
When I was with Ihug I can connect everytime 1st attempt and they I don't remember when was the last time they crap out :)

Capt.Hook
21-06-2004, 08:18 PM
I've been with xtra flat rate dial up now for 12months,and have had no issues with them ever.At 27 bucks a month,I'm not moaning.

Hook

Greg S
21-06-2004, 08:20 PM
You've gone into this before... why not just select one that doesn't charge a setup fee and try them out

Mike
21-06-2004, 08:21 PM
Hi Chris,

Clear were my first and only ISP and I've been with them for several years now. They've had, like most ISPs, their ups and downs, but mostly they've been pretty good, I get fairly good service from their help-desk (email replies within hours, not days), and I am quite happy with them (its a pity they don't offer broadband).

They do have their problems around school holiday times (ie it can take a while to connect over the holidays), and I do occasionally get cut off after a few minutes, but they've been pretty good lately.

I would pick them over Xtra (I understand Xtra is more expensive for flatrate, and my dad's work had an unfortunate and stupid run-in with Xtra's anti-competition service), but I have no experience with ihug, so I won't comment on them.

I hope that helps.

Mike.

zqwerty
21-06-2004, 08:27 PM
Ummmmmm,

I have been with Clear for a year or so now, YakPak 150, $14.95 for 150 hours per month, four months ago for no apparent reason I exceeded my allocation by 13 hours and got charged $67. I protested and got the paperwork but could not locate what had happened. Since then, and before, I have never got to the amount of minutes used in that particular month. I do not recommend Clear.

csinclair83
21-06-2004, 08:30 PM
I know I have been here before but i dont want to keep changing ISPs till i find the right one, because I have alot of ppl who have my email address and I dont want to email them once a month and say Oh heres my new address etc...I want to select one that would provide access for me for the next 12 months or more..

I admit I am kind of Looking at xtra because of its reputation but the other 2 (ihug and clear) dont have joining fees etc and cheaper too thats why I am here asking what your opinion is

Poppa John
21-06-2004, 08:31 PM
Xtra Xtra Xtra. PJ

Greg S
21-06-2004, 08:47 PM
I've used all three of those options, and prefer not to recommend one because I had imperfect service with all three, and the two worst may have improved since it was a long time ago

Jester
21-06-2004, 09:14 PM
RE: Email address:

>I want to select one that would provide access for me for the next 12 months or more..

Even though the company is not on your short list as an ISP, you may choose a free lifetime Orcon pop3 email address and access that through most ISPs that support relaying (AFAIK Xtra doesn't allow you to send mail through other isp's smtp/pop3 servers, but you can receive it ok - I found this out when they gave me an Xtra adsl log in while they sorted out a connection problem).

Or you can set up a free re-direct with Orcon that will send any mail on to your current 'real' isp email address.

Orcon's spam and virus protection is customisable too.

Worth a thought anyway.

J
:D

beetle
21-06-2004, 09:52 PM
Chris,

go with who you want, who you want to pay or what you want to pay.
and hopefully who wont complain about your hours usage.

i have used both Clear and Xtra, and will recomend Xtra over clear any day.
and i also can add my net bill to our phone bill which means one bill which i like.
never used ihug sorry no help there.

otherwise get a hotmail addy while you test run some ISP's and then when you have decided, which one youre going to stick with, get a end of line addy and stick with the one ISP.

make a decision, even if you have to do it with a dart and peice of paper on wall and where the dart lands use them......

do what you feel comfortable with, and what will fit your budget.

beetle

somebody
21-06-2004, 10:49 PM
Although i've only ever used Xtra, I still recommend them, even though they are probably the most expensive. I've never had any connection problems, hundreds of hours a month and they don't moan a single bit.

Ladybug
21-06-2004, 11:10 PM
> Although i've only ever used Xtra, I still recommend
> them, even though they are probably the most
> expensive. I've never had any connection problems,
> hundreds of hours a month and they don't moan a
> single bit.

I agree and have been with them nearly 2 years now.

:) Bug

Baldy
22-06-2004, 12:53 AM
XTRA. Connects first time EVERY time. On 24/7..... never get thrown off line. NEVER.

But if you don't want to pay the hook-up fee...... Orcon ($16.95 per month FLAT RATE)

But its your choice, your decision. You're a big boy now.

csinclair83
22-06-2004, 12:59 AM
lol i know its my decision but i wanted to know what their reputation with others were....

the following section here is part of a email which explained why they have a time limit on plans even if they are flatrate.....so i do kind of understand now....smaller company..smaller revenue...time limts...bigger company...bigger revenue..who cares whos on 24\7 or not.....
~~~

Please be aware that the direct cost of providing Internet services to you exceeds the revenue I receive from you once 150 hours per month is exceeded. To put it in some perspective, it costs me about $100 per month to provide you with 600 hours access per month. Even at only 300 hours per month, my costs of providing your access amounts to approximately $55 per month. After deducting your monthly fee, it leaves a shortfall of about $30 if you use 300 hours and $75 short if you use 600 hours...

~~~

I am pretty much so far edging towards Xtra, am gonna go get a start cd 2morrow (tuesday) and sign up...i have a month to decide, as apparently they have this 1 month guarantee of sasisfication...

Laura
22-06-2004, 01:32 AM
Chris
I've been with Xtra since I got my computer a year ago.
I pay $27.95 per month for Dialup unlimited use 24/7.
In the first few months, the machine was occasionally online for 24hour stretches.
Sometimes I'd find I'd been tossed off the connection after about 10 hours. It was always quite simple to get back online.
In recent months, I've rarely lost a connection. On one occasion only emails were delivered 3-4 hours late when Xtra was having problems - and that's the sum total of my difficulties with them.
Occasionally I consider going for a cheaper option. Then I remember the complaints I read on PF1 about other ISP's in various areas ...their slowness: their tossing-off: their lack of reliability etc...And I decide to stick with what I've got.
Nobody has ever queried or complained about my usage (And why should they? I'm paying for unlimited & expect to get it) I can check my hours on their page if I wish. I don't do that nowadays because I prefer not to know ....
Sure you can find cheaper. And maybe you can find just-as-reliable. And yes it's nice to support the up & coming ISPs.
But whether you approve of Xtra's Big Brother position or not, it's hard to fault its consistent Dialup reliability compared with those who wax & wane depending on area & line overload.
I'll not get into its broadband. Others have done that here - and it's not my bag. If you want dependable basics, go with Xtra.
And don't pay the connection fee. I was let off it just as a special offer at the time..
Tell them you are deaf & surely they'll do that for you. If not, say so - and we'll all hound them....

whiskeytangofoxtrot
22-06-2004, 09:51 AM
> Tell them you are deaf & surely they'll do that for
> you. If not, say so - and we'll all hound them....

That's despicable. All the fight for equal rights, EEO all that kinda crap and you're suggesting milking a disability for financial gain from a company.

Greg S
22-06-2004, 10:00 AM
> That's despicable. All the fight for equal rights,
> EEO all that kinda crap and you're suggesting milking
> a disability for financial gain from a company.

"despicable" is a bit harsh. Specially when many other's exploit freebies just because they're a bit more widely informed.

But nevermind, he could at least ask for the free connection because he'll probably never exploit voip :D

sam m
22-06-2004, 10:12 AM
> > Tell them you are deaf & surely they'll do that
> for
> > you. If not, say so - and we'll all hound them....
>
> That's despicable. All the fight for equal rights,
> EEO all that kinda crap and you're suggesting milking
> a disability for financial gain from a company.
>
>

Unless you have a disability - pull your head in!
(and being pretentious twat is NOT a disability)

csinclair83
22-06-2004, 10:16 AM
there is NO such thing as equal Rights in New Zealand..no way..

and i dont mind if you dont like it but yes i am actually going to do that because I do have a right to communication...

Baldy
22-06-2004, 07:33 PM
> actually going to do that because I do have a right
> to communication...

Haven't we all? Come on Chris!

Poppa John
22-06-2004, 08:47 PM
As I have a 32% hearing loss ( on a "good day") I can understand some of Chris's problems.

It is so much easier for me to communicate via "pf1", or emails than it is to use the speaker phone and miss half the words, or trying to join in conversations in a room full of people. I can sit here reading the "posts" and sometimes joining in, but would be exhausted by 2-3 hours trying to listen to people actually talking.
Maryann even has to sit on my knee for me to hear properly, at times.
]:) ;)
Go for all the help you can get, Chris. Once Xtra understand, surely they will be more accommodating. PJ

ntddevsys
22-06-2004, 11:47 PM
What exactly do you need 500 hours of internet access per month for ?

whiskeytangofoxtrot
23-06-2004, 12:00 AM
> Haven't we all? Come on Chris!

Thank you! The voice of reason.

csinclair83
23-06-2004, 12:06 AM
why do i need 500hrs of the internet for...

I am Deaf..I dont use the phone..i dont use the fax..i dont use anything expensive...

I use MSN messenger and Emails...and I dont have a reason to disconnect from the internet..i live alone...

so it stays on...

just like for a hearing person..the phone stays on and available to call through..just like me with my computer..

robsonde
23-06-2004, 12:11 AM
> support relaying (AFAIK Xtra doesn't allow you to
> send mail through other isp's smtp/pop3 servers, but
> you can receive it ok - I found this out when they
> gave me an Xtra adsl log in while they sorted out a
> connection problem).

No ISP SMTP mail server should accept mail from a user that is not connected to that ISP. any ISP that lets you send mail out from there mail server when you are not connected to them is a SPAM portal.

it is good that xtra blocks smtp packets from leaving there network, it is a worry that Orcon accepts mail from users that are outside the Orcon network.....

Pheonix
23-06-2004, 12:22 AM
Back to the original issue here.... As I am in the same city as you, and have been with Clear for a few years now, I would not recommend them.

Over the last 12 months, they have great gaps in data transfer. You may connect at 46+ kb , but the data doesn't come down continuously. From the same PC, same modem, just another ISP connection, there is no problems.

I haven't had any had any bad feedback about Xtra here, so maybe your lean may become a sway. :)

whiskeytangofoxtrot
23-06-2004, 01:01 AM
> it is good that xtra blocks smtp packets from leaving
> there network,

I don't think they do any specific blocking, however as you stated no well configured mail server should allow relay access from outside it's home network. Without either SMTP auth, or using a POP3 authentication to SMTP setup.

The fact to be aware of with Xtra is that you can't access their POP3 server from any other network - you have to be dialled up to Xtra to pop an Xtra mailbox which is a pretty sad limitation.

Their webmail service is pretty clutzy as well, and auto deletes any message marked as read after a short period of time etc.

sam m
23-06-2004, 07:16 AM
> Haven't we all? Come on Chris!

>>Thank you! The voice of reason.

Why is it that WE feel short changed when someone else gets a "perceived" better deal than us.

80% of Deaf people have a reading age of 13yrs or under.
Of this 30% are illiterate.
These same people now pay taxes that support an education system that failed them and continues to do so.

Prior to it being scrapped - Deaf people paid their TV Licences in full yet only received 1/3 of the medium.

Deaf people pay to go to the movies where they can only receive 1/2 the medium.

Deaf people had been institutionalised by the mental health system due to misdiagnosis because they could not be understood. A health system which to this day fails to teach those currently in it's study the art of compassion and understanding of those they can not understand. I often wonder if Egocentrism101 is a compulsory subject in medicine these days.

Isn't it about time that something went their way.

Back on the Topic.

Xtra provide an excellent service for me - both on dial up and now on ADSL. I have found their helpdesk extremely helpful and have always replied to my emails promptly whenever I have made a request of change.

sam m

Ladybug
23-06-2004, 08:45 AM
Sam M - Im so pleased you have said what you have. I have been trying to think of something along the lines of this without getting flamed as I'm not good with words.

I am not deaf but feel that Chris should get a better deal and Im sure many others if they had a disability of any kind would too.

Go for it Chris see what can be done for you!!!!

:) Bug

JJJJJ
23-06-2004, 09:51 AM
I have been with the three you mention and dumped them all. Mainly because they are too slow connecting. You get dropped too often.You can't get them on the phone unless you wait for hours. And Xtra tried to rob me.
I am now with Quik. No problems of any sort. From experience I would say the small companies give better service. Less breakdowns, and generaly faster connections and downloads.
Jack