PDA

View Full Version : Excess Ink lines / epson printer wont clean

beetle
21-06-2004, 04:43 PM
hi ya

have a Epson printer Cu41 x ?

and now with last lot of ink we have so many printouts with lines across them, to the point non usualbe for invoicing.

i have tried every setting / head cleaning etc, and to the point of using too much ink and no cleaner print on the paper.

Horizontal lines at edge of paper - both sides seems to be hit worst, faint lines across the middle.....

what is wrong with it???? and how can i clean it?

frustration city as it is the work printer doing it... all the time.

beetle

Billy T
21-06-2004, 05:43 PM
Yo beetle

Are they black lines across the page, (indicating excessive ink) or white lines (indicating insufficient ink)?

All that head cleaning may have left a surplus of the black stuff lying around and that could be the problem.

There are other possible causes, so not to confuse, answer this question first.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)
Hah! I got in ahead of Mrs Bump this time!

beetle
21-06-2004, 05:57 PM
how would i get white lines on white paper? ?:|

Black lines, sometimes smudging the words, or the last thing printed has blurry words......
i put a fullstop on a otherwise blank peice of paper, and it has a big black line across to it and back to edge of page as well......

ive checked on the epson site, and come up with nothing that fits the bill.

its like the head movement across the page is causing the ink marks?

beetle

R2x1
21-06-2004, 06:16 PM
You could try taking out the supply paper and tutning it over. Sometimes the curl of the paper holds it up against the print-head nozzles, this smears the ink across the center of the paper, and vertically at the edges.
R2

R2x1
21-06-2004, 06:18 PM
Hi beetle,
if tutning it doesn't work, try turning it over ;-)

godfather
21-06-2004, 06:19 PM
Are you using a genuine Epson cartridge or a refill, or a third party manufactured cartridge?

It sounds like excessive inking, if its a refill or non-original Epson this is not uncommon.

beetle
21-06-2004, 06:22 PM
Its a New Genuine Epson...... ive never tried anything else except the products recomended for my printers.....

blasted machine..... wasting heaps of paper this way.
and customers look sideways at you after seeing the screeds of lines.....

beetle

godfather
21-06-2004, 06:31 PM
Head cleaning is counterproductive. You have too much ink, not too little.

Head cleaning is for when you get missing bits of the printing (white lines on white paper, well said!) not when there is too much.

Its like taking lots of castor oil as a treatment for diarrhea otherwise. Not a good idea.

They are sods of things to get at to remove excess ink. Almost impossible in some models.

R2x1
21-06-2004, 06:46 PM
Do you have any of that old fashioned blotting paper? You could feed a sheet of that through and it might wipe up the excess a bit

Billy T
21-06-2004, 07:08 PM
> how would i get white lines on white paper? ?:|

It's real easy if you think about it beetle. If a printhead fails to deposit ink from one particular set of nozzles, then you will see horizontal white streaks through your text.

It's true, honest, would Billy lie to you?

Cheers

Billy 8-{) :|

beetle
21-06-2004, 07:17 PM
yeah well im not professing to be a geek, but the white line thing sounds dubious at best,

so i should print something really large and page full of letters and it may help clean it?????

hmmmmm,

ill let you know if this works.... and dont think i have any blotting paper.......
and im picking tissues just wont work either......

any other helpful suggestions?????????

beetle

R2x1
21-06-2004, 08:24 PM
Hi Beetle,
I don't think you want a lot of ink coming out just now. Make a page with a full stop at the beginning and another 5 or 6 spaces short of the end of each second line. Then you can print that on the "draft print" setting , turn the paper end for end, print again, then turn it over, print again, and finally end for end and print again. Maybe it will wipes it's little nozzles enough to thoroughly ruin the paper and you can enter it in an art contest. A couple of sheets used this way might get rid of enough surplus ink to solve the problem.
R2

Slim
21-06-2004, 09:26 PM
Just use the space bar instead of a character for your test page and use a thicker paper such as card, about twice the thickness of standard paper.

Poppa John
21-06-2004, 09:41 PM
OH Beetle, Would Billy T lie to you. Do men ever lie to women ????????
PJ

beetle
21-06-2004, 09:47 PM
LOL
i didnt say he lied to me, just im dubious of that white on white bit,
how can you distinguish a white line on a white peice of paper????

and Goddie said recently dont go for white print on white paper as you cant see it at all, (cant remember what thread thats in sorry) so makes me think how is it posible???

just saying after all my atrocious past and safety limitations on my comps, im to believe somethat does not sound entirely posible??? ya know?

didnt mean to make you think, or say anything to make others think that BT is lying, had never crossed my mind he was lying......

just i do cop a bit of flak about things, including being blonde, so does give it a extra push in the non believing stakes for me.. sorry all.

:(

beetle

Poppa John
21-06-2004, 10:27 PM
Only joking beetle PJ

somebody
21-06-2004, 10:47 PM
If the heads are accessible, try to (very gently) wipe them with a soft tissue if you see blotches of ink on them. If you see leaking from the cartridges, then it's time to worry.

beetle
21-06-2004, 10:58 PM
printing out some pages, as suggested has helped, not completely gone of lines but enough not to cause queries.

thanks all,

now know what to do for next time if ever.....

beetle

beetle
24-06-2004, 02:20 PM
well i have gone from one extreme to another here,

first off was too much ink, now everything has a faded look, still can read all words, just very faded ....what is wrong ?
am a bit worried to get into head cleaning again just in case it comes back to over inking....

any sugestions?

beetle

Ladybug
24-06-2004, 02:26 PM
Buy a new cartridge - if that dont work buy a new printer.

:) Bug

beetle
24-06-2004, 02:42 PM
:)

um as in other posts on this thread ..... they are new cartridges....

thats what caused the problems in the first place. too much ink,

now it has gone to the opposite end of the scale. not enough ink.

beetle

FrankS
24-06-2004, 03:51 PM
Does the printer have a Toolbox with a estimated ink level reading?, suggest reset from draft to best and run a test page, not up with epsom printers but can you remove cartridge and gently dab the head on a tissue to check there is ink at the head.

andrew93
24-06-2004, 04:15 PM
> Buy a new cartridge - if that dont work buy a new
> printer.

Agree, it sounds like the cartridge is faulty. The only way to check this is to swap the cartridge for another and so some test pages, although the faulty cartridge may have left a residue of excess ink in the well which is going to keep causing problems until it is cleaned out. Unfortunately this is not a cheap option, but you did mention that the problem started when you put in the new cartridge.

andrew93
24-06-2004, 04:16 PM
...in addition to "so"ing some test pages, you may also want to do some too!
:D

Billy T
24-06-2004, 04:23 PM
> how can you distinguish a white line on a white peice
> of paper????

I just gotta clear this up beetle.:|

Imagine a page of Bs like this:

BBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBB

Now imagine what you would see if the nozzles that print the horizontal line in the middle of the ->B<- were not firing.

You would see a top half and a bottom half of each B with the middle missing, i.e. there would be a white line (no black ink) through the middle of each line of print. This effect can appear anywhere in a line, hence you can get white streaks (white paper showing) through the middle of the text, or anywhere else that black ink should be, but isn't.

I wasn't trying to bamboozle you, and nor did I take offence at your reply. I just hadn't explained myself properly the first time.

Sorry to hear your problems persist. To be brutally honest, if needed for business use I would buy an HP laser, they print so much faster and are much more economic to run.

For colour I would buy a Canon for the reliability and lower ink costs. Sorry, but I wouldn't buy an Epson to save my life. Judging by what I read on PF1, they seem to have problems in several different areas. And always buy printers with separate ink cartridges, they let you run each cartridge dry before replacing.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

andrew93
24-06-2004, 04:35 PM
> To be brutally
> honest, if needed for business use I would buy an HP
> laser, they print so much faster and are much more
> economic to run.

Hear hear!