PDA

View Full Version : Winodws 98 freezes on start up

Phoenix
21-06-2004, 01:15 PM
I'm posting this for a friend, who's having trouble starting up computer.
When they turn computer on it starts up ok, but then it freezes on a "start up" window. I'm sure there's no error messages with it. Computer can go into safe mode.

Any help would be great thanks!

stu120404
21-06-2004, 01:33 PM
Hello Phoenix

Welcome to Press F1 :)

> When they turn computer on it starts up ok, but then
> it freezes on a "start up" window. I'm sure there's
> no error messages with it. Computer can go into safe
> mode.

Have you scanned for Virus / Spy Where / Ad wear??

Have you run scandisk?

Is this Win 98 SE? Or just win 98?

Has you friend changed any settings recently?

stu120404
21-06-2004, 01:35 PM
By the way:

>but then it freezes on a "start up" window.

Is that the windows logo screen? When it freezes?

mark c
21-06-2004, 01:39 PM
I would get into safe mode and do the scandisk for a start, even run the whole maintenace wizard and see what happens after that and yes, scan for crudware too, :D

Terry Porritt
21-06-2004, 11:03 PM
Hi Pheonix, also have a look at kbcads "Boot Failure Win98" posting, it's much the same problem as yours.

Laura
22-06-2004, 02:26 AM
Pheonix
To be fair, you should be told that we have a long-standing helpful member of Press F1 whose name is Phoenix.
(Yes, I know it's spelt wrong, but it's his story to explain why ....
and the Press F1 computer which accepted your version checks duplications only - not confusions.)
May I suggest that as you've so far made one post only, you choose another PF1 name once this thread is complete.
Otherwise, things could bcome very confusing....
Personally, I think it's a good name, but if he could spell, you'd never have got it
(Sorry, Phoenix, about the spelling crack, but someone's got to look after your trademark)

jabba
22-06-2004, 07:53 PM
Being new at this and not wanting to step on toes, but wouldn't it be better in the long run for this persons friend to move to Xp (if the hardware can cope, of course). I've only experienced upgrading my computer and two others, it is a learning curve (some may steep) with the updates and soforth but Xp is much more stable for those of us who don't play around with the software than '98, se or not.

I wonder if i should duck for cover for suggesting Xp ;\

Craig321
23-06-2004, 06:15 PM
deleting w98SE and upgrading to Win XP is exactly what I did in order to quit the ongoing - never ending start up frustrations of W98. Over the years W98 had served me extremely will. I had uploaded all the helpful tweaks and demo programs that came my way via sample cds. Somewhere / somehow - something got terminally altered. I spend hours looking to fix the problem. Even reloading w98 didn't entirely fix the issues I had. Nukking and updating solved my problem. But don't forget to save your precious files and print out your address book just in case.