PDA

View Full Version : Racist e-mails in german language

silu_nz
21-06-2004, 12:47 PM
Our work (several e-mail addresses under one domain)is getting bombarded with racist german e-mails. The origins are quite often from NZ e-mail addresses but I doubt it originates from them. Me and another person speak german and are deeply upset about the content of those e-mails.

Does anyone have the same problems? What can we do?

Pheonix
21-06-2004, 12:54 PM
I'm afraid you cannot do anything except enure your Antivirus is up to date. It is actually a variation of the Sober virus and you are quite correct, it does "spoof" the senders address. That makes tracking the source down, just about impossible for users.

Until those infected PC's are fixed up, then they will continue to send out infected e-mails to other addresses, trying to infect others.

godfather
21-06-2004, 12:55 PM
Covered here. Nothing significant you can do apart from change your email address (and thats not practical usually)

http://pressf1.pcworld.co.nz/thread.jsp?forum=1&thread=48276

CYaBro
21-06-2004, 12:56 PM
Pheonix is right, can't do much about them.
A couple of sites that I look after have their own domain and they get about 100 of these per day!

Pheonix
21-06-2004, 01:03 PM
For some information on it, have a look here (http://www.theregister.co.uk/2004/06/11/german_hate_mail_virus/)

whiskeytangofoxtrot
21-06-2004, 01:31 PM
Hmmm... well it seems stickying that other one didn't work *sigh*

nzStan
21-06-2004, 02:32 PM
Silu,

There's very little you can do about this unless you have a corporate spam filter. And it is still debatable how effective spam filters are anyway.

It's a bit like a storm. You'll just have to weather it out and eventually it will start dieing down.

If you are in charge of IT then advice your users to delete these emails on sight.

Winston001
21-06-2004, 06:54 PM
We all know what you mean WTF. That is just the nature of forums. Almost immediate communication, but no knowledge of what has come before, for the newcomer.

I suspect many simply sigh and go past this type of question now. The inquiry itself is still valid and deserves a reply. Which is what has happened.

What we need is a NZQA exam for people to pass before being admitted to the august membership of PF1.

Tell you what - why don't you devise one, send it to Bruce and I'll look at the legal side. IDG should be good for our fees :D

Wayne H
21-06-2004, 07:04 PM
NZQA, 5000 posts of which 3000 are quality could get a unit standard of NCEA in somethingorother.
what a great idea .

Oh i misread the post they must already have the standard in order to join. could go for extra credit though?

nzStan
22-06-2004, 10:33 AM
I don't understand this?

What is so deplorable about people asking the question in multiple threads? Did they kill someone or were they peddling drugs? I just don't get it why it is so offensive to the point it becomes a holy war.

As far as I am concerned, if someone is posting the same question in multiple threads eg 10 x Why is my PC going slow? Then that is spamming the forum and deserved to be slapped.

If different individuals choose to post their questions individually then they should to get an answer. If you choose not to answer their question then don't, there are others who are willing, let them do it, if anything, it is good training for some of the newer members to help other new members and gain confidence in it.

There is nothing wrong with asking questions, but it is definately stupid not to.

Miami Steve
22-06-2004, 10:59 AM
> I don't understand this?
>
> What is so deplorable about people asking the
> question in multiple threads? Did they kill someone
> or were they peddling drugs? I just don't get it why
> it is so offensive to the point it becomes a holy
> war.
>
> As far as I am concerned, if someone is posting the
> same question in multiple threads eg 10 x Why is my