PDA

View Full Version : Apple iMovie v PC?

Winston001
21-06-2004, 12:06 PM
Suprisingly my IT advisor is suggesting I buy a 2nd hand Apple with iMovie installed for my massive Video8 conversion project to DVD. Only thing missing is the DVD writer which would be another, say, $500 for a stand alone drive.

This is instead of selling me a new 3.2Ghz machine, massive HD, 128 video card, for about $3000.

He reckons iMovie and the Apple system still knocks the socks off PC for this type of job.

Just read Karents successful post. Well done and very encouraging.

So, anybody got any thoughts?

robsonde
21-06-2004, 01:07 PM
me and my flat mate are in to making short films and tryed a PC with a firewire card and ulead video studio and that was ok till we tryed to edit a 10 minute movie on it.

we got a new mac (dule G5 1.8GHz 1.5Gb ram)
Imovie rocks!!!!
IDVD rocks too!!!

you can do all the editing in Imovie and then just open the project with IDVD and tell it to burn and it does.

mac and video edit work are the best way to do it.

we have now done to short films with the mac and my flatmate has now sold her athlon 2000+ system because the mac is better.

Jim B
21-06-2004, 01:24 PM
http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1759,1609186,00.asp

metla
21-06-2004, 01:39 PM
That review that Jim linked to also has a couple of reviews at the botom of it for some Windows products.

well worth a read.

somebody
21-06-2004, 05:34 PM
I have done video editing on both a PC and a Mac (iMac running Final Cut Pro).

I found the PC (2.4ghz Pentium 4, with 512mb RAM) to be very fast and
efficient at capturing video, editing it, then exporting it to a burnable format. If you're a PC user, you'd find a PC based system much easier to use.

Although people say that Macs are better for video editing, capturing and authoring, I personally disagree, and would suggest you go for the PC option.

Megaman
21-06-2004, 06:28 PM
BTW due to liscencing issues, iDVD won't work with DVD drives other then the one that came with the computer. So bad news for video editors who are on a budget who buy an iBook and external drive thinking that the free software will work.