PDA

View Full Version : Anyone familiar with the old Telecom-rented Nokia M11 router?

xmojo1
21-06-2004, 11:12 AM
I'm trying to get two LAN-networked home computers to share the ADSL connection that goes through the M11 router. About 4 months ago both computers could connect to the Internet just fine, but now I can only get one computer to access the Internet; the other one won't load webpages. It can send/receive e-mail and I can access chat sites on it, but that's all.

Just wondering if anyone familiar with the Nokia M11 router can tell me if the router needs to be configured to allow more than one computer to access the ADSL connection and if so, which settings should be changed. I noticed that even if the problematic PC was the only client connected to the router it still had the Internet problems; this tells me either the router is not set up for this computer or the network settings on this computer are not set up properly. However, the computer's network settings are virtually identical to the other computer that is connecting properly.

So the question is: does the router need to have a configuration for each PC that is connecting through it?

whiskeytangofoxtrot
21-06-2004, 01:17 PM
M11 or M1122?

Have you checked the IP configuration of the problem computer, can it see/ping the other computer on the network?

xmojo1
21-06-2004, 11:51 PM
M11, the older Nokia router model.

whiskeytangofoxtrot
22-06-2004, 12:10 AM
I'm vaguely familiar with it, it should support multiple PC's out of the box. Though I don't know if it has extra ports, you may need a hub/switch.

Machines should get IP address off the modem via DHCP and it should plain just work.

An outline of the current network would help.

xmojo1
22-06-2004, 12:11 PM
Two PCs (Windows XP Pro) connected through a LAN. Both PCs connect to a hub which is connected to the Nokia router/modem.

Both PCs are configured similarly: IP addresses obtained automatically through DHCP by the router, DNS server IP addresses have been added to the TCP/IP config. Looking at the router's monitor, each PC is correctly assigned an IP address. Both computers are able to ping each other and the router.

As recently as March there was no problem with this setup. Both computers could browse the internet just fine. Then, after I changed my Jetstream Starter plan to Jetstream Surf, one of the computers started experiencing problems connecting to the internet. Don't know if this means anything but when I switched from Starter to Surf I went from a dynamic IP address to a static one.

Cabling is not at fault; I've switched the cabling around and the problem PC still cannot browse the internet. Can't be the network card as the problem PC can access the LAN.

whiskeytangofoxtrot
22-06-2004, 02:45 PM
Hmm... that sounds really weird.

Maybe have a look here (http://trayhorne.actrix.co.nz/adsl/nokia-m11/m10home.htm) and see if your settings match.

It almost seems like it's acting in a bridge mode though I wasn't sure that model supported it.

What about a traceroute from the PC that doesn't get traffic, to an outside IP address?

Peter Coleman
25-06-2004, 09:45 PM
Got to be a PC problem.If the other PC works through the router,then the router is OK.If you are getting an IP address from the router,ie,192.168.1.X then the PC is seeing the router,so as you know the router is OK,it must be the PC.Virus perhaps?

xmojo1
03-07-2004, 06:53 PM
OK, I've finally found the source of the problem and fixed it. Seems that it is my antivirus software (TrendMicro PC-Cillin 2000), more specifically the WebTrap feature, that caused the PC not to load web pages. I disabled the WebTrap feature and the PC miraculously started loading web pages again. Re-enable the WebTrap, web sites are blocked. Glad that problem is finally fixed.