PDA

View Full Version : Fedora core 2 win2k boot problem

Nigel Thomson
21-06-2004, 11:08 AM
Firstly I don't have the above problem,
I was about to install when i noticed a few articles mentioning a bug with dual booting xp/2k with fc2, virtually all the problems I have noticed were with the "test" versions of Fedora core, is this still a problem with the final release?, if so what exactly is causing it.
and yes i have googled etc but I really don't have a clear picture of what is causing the problem.
But this is what I think
it seems to be an issue with the new kernel(Suse and Mandrake having same problem)
And with the partitioning tools (parted)
can sometimes be overcome by setting bios to LBA

I have multiple partitions on my HDD and am planning to use one of these for Fedora, so if I am not repartitioning (apart from dividing the partition up into swap and home will this problem occur)

sorry if this seems a little vague, but I just can't seem to get a clear picture of what is causing the bug and how to get around it

Thanks
Nigel

Nigel Thomson
21-06-2004, 01:17 PM
OK
Ignore this message,

set my HDD to LBa rather than Auto, installed FC2 and everything seems to work fine,

except that PressF1 is painfully slow in FC2 mozilla browser

I use Firefox, in Windows

is there much of a difference between the two

See ya all later

Jen C
21-06-2004, 08:36 PM
Glad Fedora Core 2 installed fine for you. Setting the HDD BIOS to LBA is one of the fixes that seems to work for some people. And, yes this bug is in Core 2 and not just the test releases. Although as you mention, other recent distro's with the 2.6 kernel and parted have the same problem.

>PressF1 is painfully slow in FC2 mozilla browser
It is only PressF1 that is slow in Mozilla? I have both Mozila (1.7) and Firefox (0.9) installed and can't see much difference between the two on this site.

There is nothing stopping you installing Firefox as well on Linux if that is your preference. :)