PDA

View Full Version : analogue-digital conversion success!

karent
21-06-2004, 10:37 AM
Hi all. Just thought I'd let you know that yesterday I managed to convert the contents of a video tape to DVD - and successfully play it on my stand-alone DVD player! I did it using the recommended pass-through method where I hooked the VCR to the digicam and the digicam to the PC via firewire. I used ULead VideoStudio 7 to do the capture/DVD creation. After a little trial and error, I discovered that the whole process worked better using AVI capture format (I think that is the term). The video output seemed to be perfectly synchronised with the PC preview screen. The actual capture took precisely the time it took to play the video tape - the tape was about 58 minutes in length. However, the rendering/output/DVD writing took a huge amount of time. The rendering process started at about 6.20pm and finished at about 10.45pm. I left the PC doing it's DVD creation thing overnight. I'm guessing it took another 3 or 4 hours to finish. So now I know I can do it. Sorry for all the waffle, but I'm just amazed at how easy it was. Now I'll have to put a couple of months aside some time to convert the rest of our VHS collection. Thanks for all the advice and assistance that got me to this point.

Steve Askew
21-06-2004, 11:23 AM
What was the finished quality like?
Was it as good as the original VHS ?

Steve

karent
21-06-2004, 11:46 AM
I couldn't tell the difference. No kidding - it was perfect. I forgot to mention in my earlier post that I used a Sony TRV33 digicam. I Managed to borrow it from work. My one (TRV19) wouldn't do the job. Cheers

paulw
21-06-2004, 01:40 PM
Well done Karen.

One question. From you post I asumed that you are capturing in DVD complient MPEG2 format?? or to DVD AVI format. If to DVD complient files there should be no re-render of the captured files. If to DV AVI then there will be a long render time . The speed will depend how grunty your CPU is..

karent
22-06-2004, 03:42 PM
Hi. I think I tried capturing in MPEG and the result sort of stuttered a bit, so I changed the format to AVI and that's when I got the perfectly synchronised play/capture result. I just sat in front of the PC with the VideoStudio manual on my lap, and followed it through. I assumed that the rendering part was just an automated step I had to follow. If there is a faster way of getting a viewable DVD I'm open to suggestions, thanks. What do you mean by DVD compliant not needing to be rendered? BTW, my PC is a PIII 800MHz with 512 RAM.

Wayne H
22-06-2004, 03:55 PM
We all assume that these are home movies and NOT commercial videos that you are copying. As that would end up getting another copying thread closed.

karent
22-06-2004, 07:32 PM
You assume right, Dad! :)