PDA

View Full Version : Just an update on Dell

JJJJJ
21-06-2004, 06:24 AM
Since my last tirade about Dell junk mail.
I e-mailed their sales dept. with my latest complaints. They replied immediately saying they had passed my complaint to the correct dept. and I would get a reply "in a day or two".
Well that was over two weeks ago and no reply.
Seems "Sales" are on the ball. Makes me wonder though, If I bought one of their computers and it went bad, how long to get a response to my cry for help.
Jack

Capt.Hook
21-06-2004, 09:14 AM
I am not surprised with the response you got JJJJJ, Dell etc. pay someone to print this junk, and the printers then pay a contactor to deliver it.
To stop junk mail from being delivered to your address, get the name of the contactor(the middle man), who is contracted to deliver it in your area, and ask them to not deliver to your address.
The easiest way to do this, is to ask the delivery boy/girl,politely,how to contact thier boss.Or alternatively,have a look who printed it, then get the details you require off of them.
This was the only way I was able to stop junk mail being delivered to me.And there are 15 boxes in a row where I live,mine is the only one that doesn't receive junk mail.
Even the old "NO JUNK MAIL" sign didn't work.

Cheers

Hook

JJJJJ
21-06-2004, 09:28 AM
It comes through the mail.

Capt.Hook
21-06-2004, 03:39 PM
> It comes through the mail.

I gathered that was what you were talking about ;)
hence my long winded reply and solution to the problem.

PaulD
21-06-2004, 04:26 PM
"I gathered that was what you were talking about
hence my long winded reply and solution to the problem."

The delivery contractor in this case is NZ Post. AFAIK the postie has no option but to deliver addressed mail.

I've also contacted Dell and they are looking into why the opt-out system doesn't seem to work.

Graham L
21-06-2004, 06:17 PM
The mailing lists will be stored on computers. Do you expect it to be easy to make corrections? :D

Dolby Digital
21-06-2004, 06:46 PM
Of course Dell are one of the bigger pc hardware suppliers... maybe too big and to get removed from a mailing list might just be too difficult for this multi national.

You could always move house :)

beetle
21-06-2004, 07:35 PM
You could always remove the mail box and then you wouldnt get any mail, no bills either....:D

no mail sounds very good compared to the screeds of mail we get daily,

and it seems in having a business does not lesson the junk mail fad either.

?:|

beetle

Misty
21-06-2004, 07:47 PM
And another thought on junk mail - you can put up signs and do all the rest but real estate agents will still put junk in your postbox. They seem to think that they are superior to everyone else. In my book used-car salesmen are ten rungs above. I have never had a problem with a used-car salesman but real estate agents .....................!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

There I have had my say !! X-( X-(

What was the topic again ?
Misty :|

Wayne H
21-06-2004, 07:55 PM
One of my friends has a P O Box for his mail and a plastic rubbish bin nailed to a pole, once a week as he takes his wheelie bin down the drive he empties the mail box straight into the bin.

Graham L
22-06-2004, 03:17 PM
The [i]Listener[i] recently showed a copy of an instruction sheet from one of the circular distributers to their "depositers". It told them to ignore "No Circulars" signs. :O

Wayne H
22-06-2004, 04:00 PM
One of the local real estate people puts little bags of things in with her Business card, Minties, double packs of biscuits, sweets, must cost her a fortune. thrown her card away 8 - 10 times but eaten everything she's given us.

JJJJJ
22-06-2004, 04:01 PM
Just as a matter of interest.
I have received an e-mail from Dell. All apologies and promises to remove me from their mailing list. BUT I have to send them my subscriber number from the offendind brochures. That means I have to wait until the next lot arrives to get the required numbers. We are not even names to them, jut numbers.
He also said they bought the mailing list from UBD. Another company I have never had dealings with. I dunno !!!!
Jack

Graham L
22-06-2004, 04:06 PM
UBD used to sell a book (for at least the major centres). It contained the name of the occupants of every house. How;s that for privacy? :D

JJJJJ
22-06-2004, 04:20 PM
Yes well USD now know what I think of them too.
I also told them I wanted to know why I am described as an IT Manager.
Also that if they sell my name name to anyone else I will see them in court.
I should feel flattered, an "IT Manager" Hmmm.

Billy T
22-06-2004, 08:33 PM
I dunno Jack :|

A new career in IT at your (self confessed) age. ?:|

Find out where they are banking your salary. :D

Ask not for whom the Dell tolls

It tolls for you.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

Woof
24-06-2004, 10:01 AM
Re: Remove letterbox

I have SERIOUSLY considered this but for a slightly different reason:-
Because 'my' postie fails to "completely" deliver my addressed mail right INTO my letterbox.

Accordingly I have written two stroppy letters pointing out my disgust at finding such half-in-half-out INcomplete delivereies have caused significant damage to my property (mail) and that from now on each time that happens I will remove one more mail item and have it delivered electronically thus slowly removeing the postie's job ! and the job of their supervisor !

Apart from causing damage to my property (this is Auckland, you know = it RAINS ! here) it is also a security risk at least for a whole raft of reasons.

PS: there is no need to precisely advise your address by street NUMBER to ANY other party in dealing with SPAM, junk mail, real estate flyers, etc And don't forget that any real estate agaent that ignores your clearly expressed wishes (eg: No Junk Mail) is in serious breach of the Real Estate Institute's own rules - just write and complain to the Institute each time ! As with the local suburban newspaper whose product (advertising 'vehicle") is always only halfway delivered I simply throw it back on THEIR premises and the problem eventually goes away, ALL because THEIR circulation manager was rude and demanding that I revela my street and number so that I could be singled out for special attention. He wasn't prepared to accept the notices on my letterbox clearly advising that I "Opt Out"

MartynC
24-06-2004, 04:18 PM
i just use all of my junk mail to get the fire going at night B-)

Jester
25-06-2004, 10:09 PM
Dude, you're getting a Dell! (http://www.ctrlaltdel-online.com/?t=archives&date=2002-11-09)