PDA

View Full Version : Overly Persistant Spyware

Wood
20-06-2004, 08:18 PM
Yesterday I found my Internet explorer homepage hijacked.
I did the usual ad/spyware scans with Ad Aware spybot and after looking back through old posts I downloaded Hijack this, all of which detected and 'fixed' the problem. Excellent, however my homepage reverts to its hijacked state once I had recieved an ad inviting me to buy spyware removal products (the irony of it all) among other things. I'm assuming the trojan software is downloaded from these advertisements, and they continue one every 5mins or so when browsing.

My homepage has been changed to: - res://lpvhy.dll/index.html#96676

Has this happened to anyone here before? And apart from converting to Opera etc how can this problem be overcome?

mark c
20-06-2004, 08:27 PM
Well I'm just going to rise up to my keyboard and beat the same drum.

Using any browser but IE is good start. I presume you are familiar with the reasons? B-)

johnboy
20-06-2004, 08:45 PM
In spybot on the top menu bar click on mode and select Advanced then click tools /ie tweaks/and tick the box lock IE start page setting against user changes which will prevent it being changed
also look at this page Here (http://forums.techguy.org/showthread.php?threadid=208517&)

tweak\'e
20-06-2004, 09:38 PM
you may have the spyware downloaded somewhere on your pc. clean out any temp files.

update your os and browser as a lot of hijackers use holes in the browser so they can install themselves. (however there is a few new ones that are ment to use some new hole that MS hasn't fixed yet). also update your antivirus.