PDA

View Full Version : Word 2000

ChrisPear1
20-06-2004, 02:21 PM
Hi, I have reloaded Office 2K and every time I go to use Word 2K i get an error saying "Microsoft Word for Windows has encountered a problem and needs to close."
Can anyone help as I need Office and especially Word to operate. When I use any of the other Office programs there is no problems at all.
Please reply here or to csjfpearson@xtra.co.nz
Many thanks Chris

robsonde
20-06-2004, 02:25 PM
reinstall word??

robsonde
20-06-2004, 02:26 PM
PS posting your email address on the web in a forum like this is the fastest way to get SPAM.

ChrisPear1
20-06-2004, 02:31 PM
Thanks Rob,
However did this and problem still exists.. Winword is trying to get antivirus to run then gets into this problem..

robsonde
20-06-2004, 02:33 PM
> Winword is trying to get antivirus to run then gets into this
> problem..

I dont know if i understand what your anitvirus has to do with word......

Billy T
20-06-2004, 02:39 PM
>PS posting your email address on the web in
>a forum like this is the fastest way to get SPAM.

Not from PF1 members/users I hasten to add, but by automatic harvesting by persons with malicious intent.

If you need to post an email address it is better to disguise it by using terms an automated system won't recognise, such as:

'My emailddress' at 'thisisp' dot co dot new zealand.

Conversely, anything@isp.co.nz will inevitably be collected and used against you.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

mikebartnz
20-06-2004, 02:43 PM
Have you tried renaming normal.dot . Word will automatically create another.

Jen C
20-06-2004, 02:52 PM
>Winword is trying to get antivirus to run then gets into this problem

Do you use Norton Antivirus? There is an option which allows it to scan office documents before opening them up. Have a hunt around under NAV's settings for this - sorry I can't remember whereabout this is exactly. Remove this tick and try opening up Word again.

Does this only happen when you open up an existing document, and not with opening up Word itself (new document)?

Chris_Pearson
20-06-2004, 02:54 PM
Thanks for this info, however I cannot find normal.dot even when I search through Windows Search. Can I get this file off the installation CD.
Regards Chris

Chris_Pearson
20-06-2004, 02:57 PM
Thanks Jen C will try, and yes this problem happens all the time. Cheers Chris

godfather
20-06-2004, 03:12 PM
> Thanks for this info, however I cannot find
> normal.dot even when I search through Windows Search.

If Word has ever run on your PC at any stage you will have a copy of normal.dot.

It is a system file and you need to ensure that you have the viewing of hidden and system files enabled or you will not find it.

The location depends on how the installation was done. It is common to have several copies in different locations if multiple users exist.

Reloading Word does not affect or remove the file, it is not loaded from the CD it is created the first time Word runs if it does not exist.

> Can I get this file off the installation CD.
No.

A corrupt normal.dot file will cause this behaviour.

The file holds all default settings and is loaded whenever Word runs. Its quite safe to delete it as a new clean one will then be created.

Chris_Pearson
20-06-2004, 03:21 PM
Thanks for this... However with all this going on I have forgoten how to switch on viewing the system files... I know I know my brain is turnning to mush...
Cheers all..Chris

Wayne H
20-06-2004, 03:57 PM
depending on your version of Windows there are two places to look

Win 9x
Windows Explorer -> tools -> Folder options ->view ->put dot in show all files.
Win nt/2k/xp P/H
do not forget to scroll down and remove the tick for system files, and file exensions.

My computer. view-> folder options ->view ->put dot in show all files.
et c.

johnboy
20-06-2004, 04:05 PM
To turn on search for system files in the search panel
just click more advanced options in the next dialog box tick search system folders

To turn of norton anti virus checking word documents on opening see this article
Here (http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;329820)

Chris_Pearson
20-06-2004, 11:21 PM
Thanks all for your help.. Problem solved.. Had a fault with Winfax Pro in the winword macro. Reloaded WinFax Pro without the macros and its all running sweet as a nut.. Once again thanks for all your help..
Chris