PDA

View Full Version : Error 0X800CCC0D

Smithie 38
20-06-2004, 02:54 PM
Hi folks.

Over the last few days I have been having problems with Outlook Express, sending and receiving emails. I can connect to Paradise okay but when I click on "Send and Receive" in OE I get the following message :-

"The connection to server has failed. Account "POP3.paradise.net.nz", protocol : POP3, port 110, secure (SSL) No, socket error 10060, Error Number : 0X800CCCOD."

Sometimes I get the error number with an E or F at the end in place of the "D".

If I disconnect from the Internet and then reconnect immediately Outlook Express works normally ie it sends and receives emails, no problems.

I have changed my firewall and disconnected NAV but to no avail.

I have entered the error number in Google and read what could be done. In view of the fact that by disconnecting and then immediately reconnecting to the internet everything works fine, any advice as to what to do to resolve the problem would be appreciated.

WIN XP Home with OE 6.

Thanks Smithie

Smithie 38
20-06-2004, 03:01 PM
Sorry folks.

Meant to say that even though I have read what Google says I am not sure what path to take in view of the fact that by going off line and then reconnecting everything works fine.

Smithie

drcspy
20-06-2004, 03:42 PM
http://www.jpatmore.freeserve.co.uk/ufaq/frames/mail_errors.html

godfather
20-06-2004, 04:21 PM
I would suspect that NAV is screwing with the settings.

The fact a reboot fixes it confirms the base settings are correct, and something happens afterwards.

If NAV screws the settings, turning off NAV afterwards will not make them right again.

Perhaps it will all come right in a later update of NAV?
Have you researched the NAV site for any answers?

Smithie 38
20-06-2004, 05:13 PM
Thanks you two for your replies.

drcspy - Had a look and read the webpage you advised and it looked like NAV was the culprit.

godfather- You confirmed things.

I actually installed NAV 2004 last month so I was right up to date. However I have now removed NAV and installed AVG and the problem has gone.

Thinking back now, since installing NAV 2004, I have had the problem on and off until the last couple of days when the problem occurred nearly everytime I opened OE.

gf - As a matter of interest what anti virus program do you use?

Thanks guys for your help
Smithie

godfather
20-06-2004, 05:27 PM
> gf - As a matter of interest what anti virus program
> do you use?

I use McAfee (presently using version 6)

Have used McAfee since ... mid 1990's... when it was installed from a single floppy disk and updates were snail-mailed out.

I believe they are all OK, if regularly updated (do mine at lest twice per week, manually).

McAfee has never given me any trouble.
I have never had a virus infection. Thats as much by applying common sense to attachments as to AV though.

I usually install AVG for people that need anti-virus software. You can't beat the price.

drcspy
20-06-2004, 06:02 PM
I"ve found that NO antivirus prog is perfect......had to remove virus usign AVG from a system recently that had NAV and wou'ldt update using 'live update' got it updated using the 'intelligent updter' which is a update file you can download from their site.....and when updated .......the damn program still claimed no virus......so I loaded AVG alongside NAV and lo'n'behold AVG found a virus that norton, which the client had paid good money for, missed...........

Smithie 38
20-06-2004, 06:33 PM
Hi drcspy.

Thanks for those comments. Very interesting indeed. So from what you say you can run AVG and NAV alongside one another. Therefore if I reinstalled NAV (and tried it again) I wouldnt have to delete AVG.

Could you just confirm that for me.

Thanks mate
Smithie

mark c
20-06-2004, 07:05 PM
I understand you can have both on your comp but not running at the same time otherwise the pick up on one another's signatures.

drcspy
20-06-2004, 08:16 PM
well these folks still haev em both running .........and no probs so far as I know.........I've disabled the NAV email scanner tho and used the avg for that........

mark c
20-06-2004, 08:29 PM
Awww. OK. That's what I heard. If they run two gatekeepers w/out problems that's fine.:D

Murray P
20-06-2004, 10:29 PM
In my experience two AV programmes on the same machine can cause problems, even if only one is run at any one time. That is on w2k.

Cheers Murray P