PDA

View Full Version : Modding Mesh

willie_M
20-06-2004, 12:37 PM
Where the hell can I get mesh from for modding.

I've searched all over the place - dse, jaycar, placemakers, mitre10, modelshops, stylespc, ocnz...

Like wtf! I saw a review of modding mesh on OCNZ but I think it was an overseas review and now I can't find it...

Does anyone have any idea where I can get mesh from?

And, no... chicken mesh wont do.... ;)

lagbort
20-06-2004, 01:40 PM
Have you tried art supply stores?

cold_fu5ion
20-06-2004, 04:51 PM
Hummm...........
Modding mesh is proving very hard to find in NZ. Art supply stores do have a some types of mesh, but they are small and over priced. eg. $50 of a square 50cm by 25cm. The only other place that I can think of trying is a light engineering shop, a place that makes trailers ect. If they didn't have or use it then they would have contacts to a metal manufacture which could possibly provide it.
Just some suggestions.

Growly
20-06-2004, 04:55 PM
Have you tried scrapyards?

godfather
20-06-2004, 05:08 PM
"Modding Mesh" is not a commonly used term and is unlikely to produce any results.

The product is called expanded metal or expanded mesh.

It will be available from sheet metal suppliers. You may need to purchase a whole sheet though, 2400 x 900 mm or thereabouts.

I last purchased some aluminium mesh many years ago, and a whole sheet was not much dearer than buying cut pieces. Hard to transport though.

Murray P
20-06-2004, 05:13 PM
What sort of mesh is this your trying to get your hands on. whats it made of, what is the dimensions of the wire and the weave or is a soldered or welded mesh? What precisely is it used for ie, what are you trying to achieve.

Cheers Murray P

Murray P
20-06-2004, 05:19 PM
Oh, he wants expanded metal panels or graiting.

Try Fletcher Steel, Steel & Tube or look in the yellow pages for Engineering Supplies and Metal Fabricators. You might also want to investigate architectural rather than engineering product lines as these will be more likely to be finished to the standard that you require for eg: polished and lacquered.

Cheers Murray P

R2x1
20-06-2004, 08:36 PM
Mico Metals have quite a varied range in aluminium

Greg S
20-06-2004, 09:45 PM
Try Repco, in the card panel repair section, or any other parts supplier

Greg S
20-06-2004, 09:46 PM
[edit] that should been car panel repair section