PDA

View Full Version : Nortons Internet Security 2002

dougsnr
20-06-2004, 11:21 AM
I have just put Nortons Internet Security on my computer. This has been added to Nortons Systemworks.

I know there have been plenty of previous posts about this program, but they don't appear to asnwer my problem.

The problem being that my computer will no longer pick up email from my service provider.

I have found that I can achieve downloading email by either [1] unticking incoming and ougoing mail from NA or [2] disabling NIS.

So the questions asked are [1] have I stuffed up on the settings in NIS ?[2] do I have to disable NIS each time I pick up email ?

Clearly I don't want to disable the email antivirus checks, even though the intenet provider is also providing this service.

Look forward to your feedback.

Thanks DougSnr

drcspy
20-06-2004, 12:01 PM
nav tends to divert your mail through it's software proxy to 'check' it on the way in/out ........chck your mail settins in outlook/OE to see if it's doin the right things......what error message are you getting if any when you try to send/receive ?

dougsnr
20-06-2004, 05:18 PM
Thanks for looking at the post for me.

The message I get is:

Your server has unexpectedly terminated the connection. Possible causes for this include server problems, network problems, or a long period of inactivity. Account: 'Actrix', Server: 'pop.actrix.co.nz', Protocol: POP3, Port: 110, Secure(SSL): No, Error Number: 0x800CCC0F

Thanks DougSnr

Fire-and-Ice
20-06-2004, 05:44 PM
Pretty similar type of problem in this thread (http://pressf1.pcworld.co.nz/thread.jsp?forum=1&thread=48439). See if the info in there is of any help to you. ;-)

drcspy
20-06-2004, 05:59 PM
hmmmm........interessting I came across a fella just a couple of days ago on actrix who had very similar if not the same prob......of course actrix claim it's not their fault........

Jim B
20-06-2004, 06:42 PM
>I have found that I can achieve downloading email by either [1] unticking incoming and ougoing mail from NA or [2] disabling NIS.>

How can this be an ISP fault when everything works if NIS is disabled.
Not very logical thinking drcspy

If Zonealarm is installed or has ever been installed this has been known to conflict with the NIS and cause email problems

dougsnr
20-06-2004, 08:02 PM
I did have zone alarm installed just prior to install NIS. Add/remove programs said that it had been removed, but I see there is still a folder called zone alarm under programs.

I had a look at the interesting URL supplied by drcspy and followed through to the Nortons problem solving area with the their suggestion.

Nortons say that e-mail is still scanned even if you untick e-mail scan as long as you still have auto protect enabled.

Unticking incoming and outgoing e-mail scan does solve the problem, but the worry about the e-mail still being scanned is covered apparently by auto protect.

Thanks for all your help and comments. These sort of problems drive you to distraction and you wonder why you purchase ? better programs to protect your computer.

DougSnr

drcspy
20-06-2004, 08:14 PM
and as for my last comment I dont recall stating that this other fellow had norton of any variety installed........ ?

mark c
20-06-2004, 08:14 PM
> I did have zone alarm installed just prior to install
> NIS. Add/remove programs said that it had been
> removed, but I see there is still a folder called
> zone alarm under programs.

Just to be helpful I have learnt from exp and many posts here that uninstalling a prog is often not as simple as tossing it out of Add/Remove. There are associated files 'all over the place' as well as registry entries and common files. (Files shared between progs). There are more files on your comp petaining to a particular app than those launched by using the app. 'ReadMe' files for eg., I remember from a reply by Godfather yonks ago.
So you need to manually trawl through your comp and biff them too.

Before installing an app I do a Search/Files and Folders with the app's name (gets hazy," symantec, NAV, Norton,SystemWork"s etc., )and see what's there so I know what to delete when I come to uninstall.
HTH :) (windy up here here lots of fresh sea air)