PDA

View Full Version : Setting up an adhoc network

jabba
19-06-2004, 08:23 PM
Does anybody know of a "how to" step-by-step setup manual (or set of instructions) for setting up an adhoc network at home? I have successfully setup an infrastructure network between my wifes laptop which has a DSE 802.11g card and win2000 pro and my DSE wireless ADSL router which is connected to my desktop which has win xp pro. My wife wants to access the printer and other stuff on the desktop. When I try to use Xps network setup wizard it states that can't do it even though the router is found.

Billy T
19-06-2004, 08:47 PM
Check out the PF1 networking FAQ jabba.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

SKT174
20-06-2004, 12:04 PM
More Info (http://www.practicallynetworked.com/) :)

Berryb
20-06-2004, 02:56 PM
I beleive you are on the wrong track. If your wifes laptop can access the router and internet then you already have a successful network connection. You only need to setup the XP PC to except connections from the laptop so you can share the printer and files. For this to work you have to have your wifes user name as a user on your XP desktop. Once you have done this then the laptop should be able to access any files you share on the desktop and shared printers.

When you so the wizard doesn't setup the network what is the error?

I have a similar setup as you and have acces to all shared files and hardware from laptop.

jabba
20-06-2004, 05:43 PM
Ummm it says " Cannot complete the network setup wizard. Other computers cannot connect to the internet through this computer. In addition to its internet connection, this computer must have a connection to your network." unfortunately the laptop is very hard to setup as the IT people have set so many restrictions that i can't even access the network and internet connections applet.

Berryb
21-06-2004, 12:56 AM
If the laptop is locked down by IT staff then I doubt you will be able to do much with it at all. You need admin rights on the win 2000 laptop to setup any kind of network, ad-hoc or infastructure.
From what I can understand is your desktop connects to the net via a wireless router. If this router is not also an access point then you can't create a network between the 2 pc's. If this is the case then an ad-hoc network would enable you to share files and printers but not the internet connection. But as I said without admin rights I you can't do much. This is how I understand it anyway.

jabba
21-06-2004, 09:02 AM
The router is an access point and router all in one. (DSE XH6830). The laptop connects to the internet through it (infrastructure) easily, but I was hoping to share the printer to it as well. The desktop connects via LAN cable to the router, but the setup wizard in XP doesn't seem to see the router as a connection to the internet. Berryb I think you correct though about the admin rights on the laptop. :_l

jabba
21-06-2004, 09:03 AM
Don't know why that emoticon didn't work 'spose to be crying!

SKT174
21-06-2004, 10:58 AM
check the IP on both machines and see if can ping to each other first. Check your firewall settings as well.

Berryb
21-06-2004, 01:06 PM
Can the XP PC connect to the net via the router. I assume it can. When you use the wizard are you
1 using an account with admin rights
2 telling it to share the internet connection as this cannot be done with a router.

Set the network manually. On the NIC properties set tcp/ip to manual setting. If you routers ip address is 192.168.1.1 then set the xp box to an ip of 192.168.1.5 subnet of 255.255.255.0 and defualt gateway to 192.168.1.1. DNS 192.168.1.1
The laptop is most likely set to obtain IP automatically and you can't change this and it seems to work. Find out the IP address of laptop and try to ping back and forth between the laptop, desktop & router and post findings.
The other thing is the router yours or the wifes works'. The router could be setup to only allow connections from the laptop only if it has the function.

Berryb
21-06-2004, 01:08 PM
As SKT174 says, turnoff firewalls & antivirus

jabba
21-06-2004, 04:32 PM
Ok i see what asking me to do in the nic properties, but how do i ping?

Berryb
21-06-2004, 04:46 PM
If your router ip is 192.168.1.1 then the ip address of the desktop has to be 192.168.1.5 (last number greater than 1). If the router ip is 192.168.0.1 the desktop has to be 192.168.0.5. For another words the desktop has to be set the same as the router except last number. Once settings are correct to ping go to run type cmd and push enter. Then type "ping 192.168.1.1" (without quotes) or whatever the ip is of the router and push enter and you should get a response from the router. If this works you have a connection with the router. As long as your Internet program is set to use a lan as the internet connection and the router is setup correctly (what it must be a the laptop can access it) then you should be able to get on the net. Then you should be able to share files and the printer by right clicking the files, folder or printer to share and click on sharing and click sharing.

To find out the ip of the laptop and you have access to connects option you should be able to find the ip address there or double click on the 2 computer bottom right of screen, goto support and details.

Let us know how ya get on.

jabba
22-06-2004, 02:31 PM
Ok i went into the routers settings and the mac address page i found the ip and mac address for the laptop. I pinged and it seemed to come back fine. The laptop doesn't have a "run" bit on the start menu, so i couldn't do the same back to the router and desktop. The laptop and the desktop do connect to the internet really well. That would mean the laptop is connecting to the internet via the router but bypassing the desktop, right? So how do i get the laptop "see" the desktop and connect to it? Am i on the right track? or is the admin restrictions on the laptop going to stop me?

Berryb
22-06-2004, 05:52 PM
It depends on the level of restrictions on the Laptop and if it normally joins a domain or not at wifes work. You have a network going correctly by the sounds of it. There is no run on the Laptop due to restrictions. On the desktop go to Network Places and click on view workgroups computers (down the left hand side). If nothing showing or laptop not there click on Microsoft Windows Network and this should show you the workgroups running on the network. From here try and find the Laptop. Without knowing what you have called your network, or the name of the laptop network I can't tell what you will find by name but you should see your desktop and laptop this way.
By doing all this you may be able to share files from the desktop to the laptop but I doubt you will be able to access the printer from the laptop but this depends on the restrictions on the laptop. The IT people may have it setup so the user can access printers. You will not know until you have shared the printer on the desktop and tried to install it on the latop.

Hope this helps but always hard to explain.

Billy T
22-06-2004, 07:04 PM
> laptop doesn't have a "run" bit on the start menu

Go to Start>Programs> Accessories and you will find the command prompt there. Make a shortcut to the laptop's desktop if you are going to need it for a while.

Hint: Pressing F3 during a ping session will bring back the last entry so you don't have to keep typing it in. Another idea is to type up all your pings in a text file then copy & paste them into the prompt window as required.

Saves time when looking for problems.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

jabba
22-06-2004, 08:09 PM
> Go to Start>Programs> Accessories and you will find
> the command prompt there.

This laptop is restricted so tightly that is squeeks!
Unfortunately theres not even a command prompt there. Maybe it would help to let you know that this laptop is a school one. This laptop has 10 networked printers on it that i can see.

Billy T
22-06-2004, 08:56 PM
Hmmmm........

Given that it is a school notebook and you can't access administrator-level privileges to set security etc, perhaps you shouldn't even be trying to network it, especially by wireless.

I would take a look at the Schools "responsible use policy" myself because it may be that your actions are going to get your wife into trouble if a laptop audit finds unauthorised wireless access has been installed. I am associated with a local school and I know we'd have a fit if a staff member tried to do what you are doing. That is why they are tied down "so tight that they squeak".

It would be viewed as a potential risk to the integrity of the school network and would result in disciplinary action.

Maybe your wife should ask the IT dept at school to give her a tied down ethernet connection for printer access at home.

It is worth thinking about.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

jabba
22-06-2004, 09:32 PM
Fair call Billy, as far as we know it's ok. As the school allows teachers to setup for internet connections at home and thats how i set this up (which in essence is what we have done, just not via cable) please note that i have WEP enabled. Since setting this up it has been back to the it staff more than several times with openess of what we are doing at home with "no slap on the hand" or warnings about what we have done. My understanding of the restrictions is to stop the students from altering or doing something to or with the computer that they are not allowed to under the same responsible use policies that you have mentioned also different schools have have different ideaologies regarding these things. We use this laptop primarily for email, websurfing and remote connections to the school network, which would easily come within the forementioned responsible use policies.

Berryb
23-06-2004, 10:15 PM
One of the purposes of teachers having laptops is so they can access resources outside of school hours. This is why the agreement the Ministry of Education has with Microsoft allow staff members to install certain software on home (personal) computers as well as supplying teaching staff with laptops. I see no problem with what jabba is doing when all he is trying to do is allow the laptop to print and share some files from the desktop computer. It's simple for the IT staff to allow a printer to be setup on the laptop and maybe you need to ask the IT staff for this permission to be allowed.

Some schools are moving more to the options of the Telecom product Schoolzone or other products the same (can't think of the name) where remote access to the network is a major benefit to some teachers.

jabba
24-06-2004, 09:25 AM
Cheers Berryb, That is our understanding too. The laptop is back with IT and is being hopefully altered so I can setup the sharing, but as usual the network is down so they are concentrating on that for now. My wife has been watching this thread and wants Billy to know that at her school they are trialling a new teaching strategy based on enquiry learning which means that teachers need to be able visit and check out websites before suggesting them to students. This then ensures the content is not only safe but also helpful and appropriate to the students level of learning. Hopefully the IT people will have time this week to set the laptop up for us.. fingers crossed.

jabba
03-07-2004, 09:40 PM
Well we have finally got the laptop back. I think I've tried everything that everyone has suggested, alas no luck. I looked in network places and it wasn't there. I re-tried Xp's network wizard and went into "other" then "This computer connects directly to the internet through a network hub and other computers connect to the internet through the same hub" ( or something similar to this, it's the first/top option). Xp (desktop) then did it's thing and then asked to make a "Network setup disk", which I did and put it into the laptop and it (laptop) came up that it can't do this as it is Win2000 and the setup disk is for win 98,98se and xp. Sooo I'm back to the beginning. Don't know what to do now, hope the people that have replied previously are still watching this thread...cheers.

Billy T
03-07-2004, 10:00 PM
Bummer jabba, about the only thing I could suggest is that your wife ask the school's IT department to set up your end as well. Since she wants the network functionality for school business I can't see why they wouldn't oblige.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

jabba
04-07-2004, 08:41 PM
Cheers Billy, I think you are correct... I'll have to ask my wife to try that or give up. At least it connects to the internet. Thank you to you and berryb for your suggestions. :-