PDA

View Full Version : can dialup be shared by 3 computers?

santae
19-06-2004, 08:07 PM
poor family would like to share a single dialup connection and end the family fighting over who's turn it is! have 3 cheap computers and would like help on hardware etc. realise it will be slow but don't mind. cher

Megaman
19-06-2004, 08:17 PM
Indeed it is possible. I once shared my dialup connection between two computers. To do this, you'll need to network all three computers. This (http://pressf1.pcworld.co.nz/thread.jsp?forum=1&thread=21674) is an FAQ about networking (it will take a while to load). It will tell what you need to buy, about how much it will cost and how to set it up.

MM

Dolby Digital
19-06-2004, 09:02 PM
Assuming you get your computers networked...

My suggestion would be to get another cheap computer (a Pentium 100 with 16MB ram would be fine) and run Smoothwall which is a Linux based firewall. There is a catch though. You really need an external modem (or hardware modem) which are much easier to get going under Linux.

The alternative is to use Windows Internet Connection Sharing.

Growly
19-06-2004, 09:36 PM
What do you mean by three cheap computers?

Follow Dolby's advice, a real cheap old hunk of junk would serve as the perfect router. The external modems are the pricey bits.

Otherwise, any computer running 98SE or higher can theoretically run ICS (Internet Connection Sharing), thought it's most easily done on Windows 2000+.

Network cards are really cheap. I just got three for ~$39 - thought i know you can get them cheaper.

somebody
19-06-2004, 09:37 PM
> My suggestion would be to get another cheap computer
> (a Pentium 100 with 16MB ram would be fine) and run
> Smoothwall which is a Linux based firewall. There is
> a catch though. You really need an external modem (or
> hardware modem) which are much easier to get going
> under Linux.
>

I disagree. The easiest way is to use Internet Connection Sharing in Windows (98 or higher) to do it, as it's much easier to set up.

In saying that, it is posisble to share dialup, but it'd be deadly slow if all 3 computers were trying to view websites at the same time - especially ones with lots of pictures etc.

Growly
19-06-2004, 09:58 PM
Actually, if three were trying to access the same website at the same time, it would really fast because of Proxy caching.

Smoothwall can also access act as a proxy server, can't it?

Anyway, smoothwall also provides a layer security, because you can log and block access to certain sites at your descretion.

Poppa John
19-06-2004, 10:07 PM
santae..However you do it I wish you well. I have done it!! If I can anybody can. However I had a lot of help from Press F1..ers. Go for it PJ