PDA

View Full Version : partitioning problems

Nigel Thomson
19-06-2004, 06:50 PM
Greeting all,
I am having a major problem with my harddrive,

In the begining my 80Gb HD was partitioned into about three seperate drives, as i experimented with various linux distros these became further subpartitioned etc,
Any way to cut a long story short, I decided to repartition everything apart from my C:\ and have everything organised in what i hoped was a logical order,
The problem is this if I only have my c: partition (11GB) and everything else unpartitioned the computer works fine (apart from 68GB being wasted),
the problems begin when I partition the rest of the HDD, and yes I only have 3 primary partitions, and large disk thingie enabled etc, the win2k partition C: only gets as far as the loading win2k screen (with the progress bar on the bottom) then comes up with a BSOD saying boot device failure.
When using the 2k CD and emergency rescue disk, it tells me my C:\ is corrupt and reboots.
but when i go back to partitioning program and remove all other partitions apart from c: and reboot the c:\ works perfectly
this is getting a tad frustrating
but anyhow I am going to have another go at partitioning soon hopefully with different results.
can it be done thru 2K? I think you could do it thru NT4 but I could be wrong
anyhow thats about it

whoops, yes I did set the partition active,
and I used ranish partition manager (which I have always used with no problems)

Thanks Nigel

kiki
19-06-2004, 08:02 PM
Are you using Ranish to make NTFS partitions? I'd try making fat32 and then converting to NTFS with windows. I remember Partition Magic killing my computer when it made NTFS partitions and giving blue stop error screens.

Try making new partitions in Disk Management as well. Right click my computer -> Manage -> Disk Management.

Nigel Thomson
19-06-2004, 08:20 PM
yep
i found computer management and am currently formating the HDD, I was only making Fat32 partitions not NTFS but oh well

Thanks
Nigel