PDA

View Full Version : wake on ring

bryce
19-06-2004, 01:54 PM
my sisters pc is in the habit of turning itself on when ever the phone rings. they have a seperate fax # but only one line. i think it is faxability. i have checked the wol/wor settings in bios. i also changed the modem setting to another irq. (from default 3 to 11 then other #`s) when i do this and use ringback. the pc stays off. then after approx. 30 mins. i try ringback again and pc turns on. i change the irq and it does the same all over again. i have reset bios defaults so all is in compliance with the mb. handbook.this problem only occured after a service by the shop where pc was bought. can anyone help please.

Graham L
19-06-2004, 03:03 PM
Is the modem a card, or part of the motherboard? If it's a card, unplug the WOR cable. :D

When you made your BIOS changes, did you remember to Exit with save? ;-)

bryce
19-06-2004, 03:36 PM
modem is a pci card and yes i f10 and y to save. not sure if the modem card is pluged into the mb. will check when im in invercargill next. have thought to delete and reinstall modem drivers but looking for something simple first.

Graham L
19-06-2004, 03:40 PM
The 'wake on ..." needs a cable from the mother board to supply the standby 5V, and take the "switchon" signal back to the motherboard. If that is unplugged, the modem won't be on when the computer is off. If it manages to start the computer with the cable unplugged, it will be a very clever modem. :D

bryce
20-06-2004, 03:10 PM
thanks graham, i will check when im in ingill. mb. is k7vta3 and i think it will be jumpers on wol1/wom1. it was working fine until serviced. came back with usb dissabled in bios plus this prob.

Billy T
20-06-2004, 03:48 PM
If the shop didn't do it right Bryce, they should put it right for you. If you can't sort it quickly, just take it back. You shouldn't be charged for fixing their errors or omissions.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

bryce
20-06-2004, 04:25 PM
true billy t , but i was asked to look at it and save her from being without it for days. its only a minor prob as it is turned off at the wall after use. i will be looking at it in a week or so and thought i could get enough info. to do the job if it is more than a minor one. i havent had the case open yet but will check out things properly when im down there. cheers bryce.