PDA

View Full Version : Re-install of windows with 160Gb hard drive, 48bit LBA issue.

kiki
19-06-2004, 01:11 AM
How to enable 48-bit Logical Block Addressing support for ATAPI disk drives in Windows XP (http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;303013)

Ok so I was going happily about my business and I decided to install and test Sygate Personal Firewall Pro 5.5. Then it asked me to reboot and everything went to hell after that. I couldn't boot into windows, it got to the desktop but would just show the background, nothing else. This also happened in safemode. Then I tried a repair from the Windows cd, and it got to the second part of the install (after the format) then it blue screened with a STOP error. Whoa something really gone bad here. It continued with that error every reboot after. Even partition magic boot disk threw a stop error!

Anyway I had to format that partition and try a fresh install of windows. Now I'm faced with a new dilema. Because my drive was 160Gb, to get the full space to show you have to upgrade to SP1, so I did that previously and I was running SP1 and 3 partitions before all this happened.

Ok in the article it says:

Warning Data corruption may occur if either of the following conditions is true:
* You use this registry value to enable 48-bit LBA support in the original release version of Windows XP Home Edition or of Windows XP Professional.
* You install an earlier version of Windows on a disk partition that was previously created by a 48-bit aware operating system, such as Windows XP SP1. And that disk partition is equal to or larger than the current addressable limit of 137 GB."

!! So if I install XP Pro on it without SP1 its going to corrupt all my partitions???

How do I go about safely installing XP and SP1 to get the 48bit LBA enabled without corrupting anything? Sounds like a nightmare :|

Thanks, in advance.

R2x1
19-06-2004, 01:17 AM
Hi
I just cheat, and format the disk in linux, do a swift linux install, then install windows in the partitions that linux so nicely and quickly installed. It is quicker (for me) than waiting forever while windows painstakingly formats large partitions. (I rather unsportingly use FAT 32 partitions for XP)

Murray P
19-06-2004, 01:38 AM
You need to slipstream sp1 in to the XP setup. Hop over here to Slipstreaming Win2k-XP (http://www.tacktech.com/display.cfm?ttid=295) and over to Snakefoots Win2k-XP Install-Repair Tips (http://snakefoot.fateback.com/tweak/winnt/install.html) You'll need to scroll down a fair way for Snakefoot's XP sliipstreaming tips but, the read is well worth it on the way (of course the win2k section comes first ;) ). There are other very worthwhile goodies elsewhere on the site so, feel free to get side tracked. And if you like well named site Black Vipers has some good info on windows OS's too.

HTH Murray P

Murray P
19-06-2004, 01:48 AM
Kiki, on Snakefoot's site go down to article 25. Fixing BSOD with INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE you might find something of interest in there. Just tootle around the whole site.

Cheers Murray P